first trip to afan...

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited May 2008 in MTB general
today i went to afan for the first time...
got there and did the wall. i had such an amazing time (apart from the hills - i will never like hills!) until about 20mins before the end when i had a little lapse of concentration and went flying :oops: there was quite a bit of blood! (and to make things worse my bike had disappeared over the edge...)
i thought about having a little cry. then i realised that there wasnt much point because there was no one to hear - my work mate having pelted off into the distance about half an hour before. so i got up, retrieved the bike (took ages), and forced myself to finish the ride.
as i was riding back i had a weird feeling of total happiness :D this has to have been the worst 10 months ever (combination of break up, moving to a new town, new job, being treated like sh*t, all of which led to a total confidence loss). i bought the bike to try and cheer myself up, and its really worked! since riding i've become a lot more confident about trying new things and meeting new people, and today i really felt like i'd achieved something! cant wait to go back...
anyway sorry for the rant, just feeling so happy that i thought i'd share!
hope you all having a good day too

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cool! Bit of pain never hurt anyone ;-)

So are you afan then?
  • lexiekay
    yeah i guess you're right!
    actually im in swindon, but its only an hour and a bit drive to afan from there...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Scars look good on bikers! That's what they all talk about in the post ride pub visit anyway!

Glad you are feeling better though, its great what biking can do for you - keeps me sane! Sorta
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    eek riding afan alone and crashing isn't too much fun I wouldn't have thought but glad it turned out well. the blood wasn't anywhere on the head/face was it? the wall is such a good trail and the descent is really technical! It wasn't through that one particularly rocky section where you crashed was it? In the latest dirt magazine someone uses the descent of the wall as a downhill run so its fairly tough going.
    I'm pretty much from swindon and its not too bad a drive over to wales. I do afan and cwmcarn quite a lot. cwmcarn - this coming bank holiday!!! where do you normally ride? i normally ride more north for "local" stuff, cheltenham / gloucester have got some lovely riding.

really glad you had a moment of happiness - it can come at the weirdest of times! makes riding bikes really worth it though
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Afan is my favourite place to ride, although its a nice 4 and a half hours from here so I don't get there as much as I would like to.

I was over there at teh beginning of April and have a nice collection of scars on my left arm and knee from coming off on the Wall.

Glad you didn't hurt yourself too much being left on your own!

Good memories though!
  • supersonic wrote:
    So are you afan then?

Sheer class Sonic! :D

And Lexie, good to hear you had a good time, and that the biking is healing you mentally, even if it's damaging you physically! Keep at it, one day I hope I'll build up the guts and make the effort to visit some of these (in)famous runs!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    wrote:
    " i bought the bike to try and cheer myself up, and its really worked!

what bike you got?

good to hear, you can forget all your troubles when your riding
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • lexiekay
    the blood wasn't anywhere on the head/face was it? the wall is such a good trail and the descent is really technical! It wasn't through that one particularly rocky section where you crashed was it?
    no blood on the head or face, just pretty much everywhere else! and i know the section you mean, but i managed that ok, it was when the track comes out into the open and is pretty flat, there was me going "cool look at me i can ride!" and then i skidded on a loose rock.....!
    where do you normally ride? i normally ride more north for "local" stuff, cheltenham / gloucester have got some lovely riding.
    normally the ridgeway as its the closest to me, and i dont have a car so have to ride out from my front door! also been to badbury clumps near faringdon a few times, and the forest of dean which was cool...
    what bike you got?
    i got a specialized rockhopper 2007, which i got for £200 as it was a demo bike in my lbs. its been updated with a few extra components (disc brakes, new pedals etc) and im kind've looking for a full suss now, but i still love my hardtail!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hi Lexiekay :D

Glad you enjoyed Afan! I havn't been there for ages and I need another trip soon...

I am also reliably informed that a few scars look good on mtb girls :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • dirtbiker100
    edited May 2008
    lexiekay wrote:
    no blood on the head or face, just pretty much everywhere else! and i know the section you mean, but i managed that ok, it was when the track comes out into the open and is pretty flat, there was me going "cool look at me i can ride!" and then i skidded on a loose rock.....!
    ha ha ha oh thats harsh, well least you managed to get through the badly rocky section, my mate didn't even attempt that last time!
    lexiekay wrote:
    normally the ridgeway as its the closest to me, and i dont have a car so have to ride out from my front door! also been to badbury clumps near faringdon a few times, and the forest of dean which was cool...
    never ridden the ridgeway, is it fairly good for a weekend ride? was at the forest of dean at the weekend :D its a lovely little place there but i managed to pick up a new dent in my helmet after falling down what felt like a cliff, not good.
    did you see this thread - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12561546 dunno if theres places in there you can get to and didn't know about.
    sarah75 wrote:
    I am also reliably informed that a few scars look good on mtb girls :wink:
    i'll agree there :) the odd one or two i think is good.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    The Wall was the scene of my only fall to date. It's all about getting back on and finishing the ride. Knowing you can survive falling off boosts confidence.

Impressed you managed to lose sight of the bike.
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    through that one particularly rocky section where you crashed was it?

Isnt that part called desolace, or something like that?

I came off on that during some bad weather, lots of fog and rain rolled in and we couldnt see that far ahead >.< - Cause of this my riding buddy rode over my bike...and also came off *evil grin*

It left a mark on my elbow ^^

Glad you made it down pretty much in one bit though \o/
  • lexiekay
    its making me feel much better to hear other people have crashed there too! :lol:
  • wheelbuckler
    wheelbuckler Posts: 134
    Inspiration! I haven't had a "real" fall on my bike yet, I've actually been quite paranoid of doing some real damage but if you say it made you really happy.....next time i'm having a sh***y day I'll be looking for somewhere to crash!!!!!!!!!!
  • lexiekay
    yeah well, feeling a bit sore today, and people are looking at me funny in the office due to the hideous nature of my injuries... :oops:
    think it was the fact that i managed to get back on again that made me so happy! that and the cake in the cafe after.... :D
  • wheelbuckler
    wheelbuckler Posts: 134
    Mmmmmmmmm.... Cake!
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    No Body Armour or pads,I see this all the time just dont understand
  • dirtbiker100
    grantway wrote:
    No Body Armour or pads,I see this all the time just dont understand
    for riding an XC trail? you serious?
  • jeffers696
    i wear nee pads, cos i come off alot, thats about it. plus they keep you warm in the winter :)
    OnOne 456
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i always wear knee pads because I've done some proper damage to my knees over the years - and I'm scared by what might happen if i damage them again.
  • lexiekay
    i was thinking i should probably get some knee pads... just waiting til payday! and wldnt have made much difference this time as i got my bicep (or the bit on my arm where that would be if i had one) my wrist, hip and bum! do people normally wear full body armour for these sorts of trails?
  • jeffers696
    no not fully body i imagine it would be to heavy and hot, knees and elbows and helmet of course oh and gloves is the most i have ever seen.
    OnOne 456
  • Andymtb
    Andymtb Posts: 36
    You've obviously not seen me out and about. 8)

This time last year, doing the Wall for the second time, i got within 20 meters of the finish on the last technical section and somersaulted over the bars and broke two ribs on landing.
    Since then I wear full armour every time out and occasionally put it to good use..
    It took me 5-6 rides to build my confidence back up though. Being self-employed I can't afford to take time off work, so I'm happy to look like robocop.

Getting back to the car park stinking of sweat, back covered in mud but knowing the portions in the Drop off cafe aren't going to let you down. Bloody great.
  • dirtbiker100
    Andymtb wrote:
    but knowing the portions in the Drop off cafe aren't going to let you down. Bloody great.
    now that is certainly true. hot chocolate served in soup bowls, slices of cake that could feed at least 3. bloody love the servings in there.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've seen a few people riding XC trails in full-body armour over the years.
    Some guy on telly recently said it best
    "Well, if you fall off and injure yourself, it could put an end to your day's riding as you push, limping back home, but with the pads, if you fall off, then you can just get straight back on"

Personally, I've always thought a full suit was always too much for XC - but then again if it's what makes you feel safe then go for it.
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    The first time I went to Afan I wore legs/knee and elbow/arm pads on all of the trails. But since then I haven't personally felt I need it. But I did collect some nice scars on my elbow and knee from my recent trip so go with whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • lexiekay
    think maybe i should get some knee and elbow pads specially now the evnings are lighter and am hoping to get to wales a couple of nights a week after work.. any suggestions on the best ones?
  • dirtbiker100
    661 veggie pads get mentioned alot for non DH stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Hey lexie,

just got home, glad to hear you enjoyed your trail, and when you come to wales let me know, more riding the better just did 3 trails in 3 days, bit tired now lol.
  • lexiekay
    hey you're back.. :P yeah i had a great time, just about recovered now, tho tired too after holiday! defnitely let you know when im next down your way...