How often do you bleed your brakes?

pdid
pdid Posts: 1,065
edited May 2008 in MTB general
After having problems with my rear mono mini decided to try bleeding. System was full of air. Now these brakes are around 7 or 8 months old, the quoted time for bleeding in the instruction manual is 4 years :shock:

I ride once to twice a week off road on average.

The brake is now sweet again, but there`s a big difference between 7 months and four years!

So, how often do you bleed yours?

Phil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as needed. when the lever goes mushy. 4 years sounds right,

bleeding is Normally one of the last things that needs doing when there are brake problems.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    ive had my brakes for a year and a half, and ive probably bled them a few times, an each of them times was my own fault (dont move hoses when the caliper is bolted down as you will unscrew the hoses!!!). tisnt a big job when your used to it.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    So far never, i fond the formula's great in this respect, soon as they go mushy then i will. :)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Whenever they go squidgy.
    Or whenever i'm bored :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    nah you wanna strip and clean your huns when your bored. thats why i bought shimano!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • pdid
    Will Snow wrote:
    ive had my brakes for a year and a half, and ive probably bled them a few times, an each of them times was my own fault (dont move hoses when the caliper is bolted down as you will unscrew the hoses!!!). tisnt a big job when your used to it.

Prob some truth in this, me and my tinkering :!:
  • I haven't read your instruction manual, but I would guess that the four years thing is referring to changing the brake fluid, not bleeding the brakes to get air out of the system.

When you bled the brakes, was the reservoir empty ?
    If so, you have got a leak. That fluid must have gone somewhere.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    You only need to bleed the brakes if you have air in the system. If you've not been shortening the hose or changing the fluid then you have a leak somewhere that you need to sort out.
    My hydraulic brakes on both my bikes have been fit and forget, i haven't touched the ones on my hardtail for nearly seven years now (bar a pad change or two).
  • pdid
    Will check for leaks, but i`m pretty sure there aren`t any.

I have, however, had a new back wheel which meant i had to re-align the caliper. Hence the tinkering.

P