Cube Acid VS GT Avalanche 1.0

rossedintranslation
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
i was on the verge of buying a gt avalanche 1.0 until I popped into another LBS and spotted the cube acid...

basically the same price but with deore LX on the front, and deore XT shadow on the rear derailleur (instead of deore on the front and LX on the back), rockshox dart 3 (instead of the suntour x-100), 7005 alu frame (instead of 6061), deore hydraulic brakes (rater than the tektro auriga ones on the GT), 12.8kg (rather than 13.7kg)...

am i missing something important and obvious, or does the cube seem a lot better value for money?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Cube is more XC based with the short fork, and lighter components. The GT is a bit more heavy duty, with a stouter fork and frame. Depends what you want.
  • well maybe the cube's the right buy for me...i reckon i'm likely to be doing mostly XC, and throwing some road tyres on it for during the week.

still waiting on a call to find out if they can get me one in a 20" frame...or i might have to go back to the GT! (well, that or the commencal combi disc they've got in there too, although it's probably even less of a XC machine...might push me to try a different riding style though, which could be fun!)
  • supersonic
    Try them out, see how they feel.

Carrera Fury worth a look too, and if not botheresd about discs (I don't use them for XC!), the standard Rockhopper.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Try them out, see how they feel.

Carrera Fury worth a look too.

been on the GT so far, and it was quite a fun ride. If they can find the cube in the right size then i'll get out on it before buying one.

My flatmate had a fury, which he duly broke and replaced with an orange p7! (thanks to his stupidly large bonus system at work...!)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I'd take the weights with a pinch of salt as well, those Suntour X-100s will be far lighter than the Darts, the frame will be a similar weight. The Tektro Aurigas are fairly good dual piston hydraulics, very similar to the deores.

A lot of the weight of the Avalanche 1.0 comes from it's wire bead Nevegals, mine weighed about 1kg each, you can easily half that if needs be for about £40.

Where were the weights from just out of interest? The GT looks like the genuine weight from Bikeradar, the Cube is the claimed weight?
  • Toasty wrote:

Where were the weights from just out of interest? The GT looks like the genuine weight from Bikeradar, the Cube is the claimed weight?

I'm trying to find where i got the 12.8kg for the cube from, the cube site actually says 12.6kg, but who knows if they're being honest. Pretty difficult to compare when I was in the store as the cube they had was a much smaller frame size anyway.

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ACID_id_21021_.htm
  • toasty
    I've never known a company to be completely honest on the weights. I've just bought a Commencal, having a look around the reviews they seem to come in 2lbs over the estimated weight for example. They'll weigh small... without pedals... on the moon.
  • just spotted someone selling a rockhopper disc 2008 for £550 in my part of the city...apparently unused! no doubt could get them down to £500.

hmm, 23" though, might be a little on the big side.
  • supersonic
    Don't buy it - buy from a dealer and get a years warranty on parts, and lifetime on the frame. You forfeit that buying 2nd hand - not worth it for a few quid.
  • that's a pretty decent point!

anyway, i reckon the 23" frame's just a tad too big (i'm 6'3", 34" leg). Testicular injuries would most likely ensue! :roll:
  • supersonic
    Need to try a few out to get the right size, they vary a lot between make and model.
  • yup. i've been on a rockhopper recently, and i really quite liked it, and as the 21" frame felt perfect I'd not want to go to the 23".

Only downside was that 600 quid for the disc version is really pushing my budget at the moment.
  • supersonic
    Its a bloody good bike though, and if you've tested it ;-)
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The Cube does look delicious in white/green!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    The Cube does look delicious in white/green!

which is why i wanted it in black...less likely to get nicked!

i'd be happy in either colour though, just need a good lock.
  • toasty
    You might be able to change your house insurance to cover your bike for a very small amount extra, even when out of the house and locked up, we did with ours.
  • willroy
    willroy Posts: 8
    I have had a 20" cube acid on order for sometime now and its finally coming in next week. Its in white and green which everywhere is really sparce of. I literally couldn't find anywhere which had one in but the blackones I found more common.

Value for money very good imo.
  • Richdog
    Richdog Posts: 32
    willroy wrote:
    I have had a 20" cube acid on order for sometime now and its finally coming in next week. Its in white and green which everywhere is really sparce of. I literally couldn't find anywhere which had one in but the blackones I found more common.

Value for money very good imo.

I dont see how a 700 quid bike can be good value when they but such a low grade fork on it. Surely you expect at least a Suntour Epicon or Rock Shox Tora for that money on that kind of bike? The Dart 3 has a pretty bad rep from what i've read.

Otherwise i'd have bought an Acid myself as they really do look the dogs nadgers..

EDIT - Damn sorry guys I didnt notice the date on the thread, im not a Necrophiliac, honest.