rear disc brake

pirwin1
pirwin1 Posts: 248
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I currently have v brakes on my rear wheel and I would like to uprgrade to a disc brake. Is this a worthwhile upgrade to make or would I be better spending my money on something else? Also would I need to get a new rear wheel aswell as I don't think my current one has fixings for a disc.

What makes/models are good? What size disc rotor do I need? I mainly ride XC. I am looking to spent up to about £110.

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Take a look on www.merlincycles.co.uk for brakes and wheels.You could get a Deore hub with a 317 rim for less than £50 if your rear isn`t disc ready.Brakes wise,get something like a Shimano Deore for £50.
    What brake have you got on the front,though?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • pirwin1
    I have a giant MPH 3 brake on the front. I meant previously that I was looking to spend up to £110 on the brake. It sounds like I will need a new wheel aswell so I'll just just have to save up some more for it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Out of interest, what bike do you have and components?
  • pirwin1
    The friend I bought the bike from recently built the bike himself, partly from components he took off his Giant full susswhen he upgraded it.

It's a muddyfox alu sport frame, rockshox duke forks, mavic rims, shimano deore LX rear hub, shimano deore XT front hub, shimano deore gears, shimano rear v-brake, giant MPH 3 front disc brake, crank bros candy C pedals, ritchey headset with carbon spacers, giant A710XL stem and handlebars.
  • supersonic
    edited May 2008
    Ok, nice mix of stuff there. But I feel 110 on a single brake is overkill given what you have on the bike. You could get a pair for 110 which would even ouot the lever feel and improve control, or spend 50 quid on a rear one and save the rest or upgrade something else. For example a carbon bar would save a lot of weight over the heavy stock Giant ba.

Depends on your long term goals, and if you will upgrade the rest to the same quality of the brake.
  • pirwin1
    Yes I did have to go out to the garage and have a look !! Don't know my bike that well yet !
  • pirwin1
    Ok. The front brake seems to work well so I don't see the point in bying a pair of ne ones. I do like the sound of carbon bars! any brakes / brs you recommend ?
  • supersonic
    It was just an idea relating to having two levers feel the same, but as you have a V anyway lol.

I have a RaceFace Next;

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp? ... gn=froogle

That's a huge reduction too! Likely to save you 150g in weight, and be more comfortable. Add to that say a Shimano Deore disc brake:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/?acti ... 4&brandID=

which is easy to fit, and pre bled, and you are laughing, and not even spent 100 yet! This may giive a bit more budget for a wheel. So how about an XT disc hub, on Mavic 717 rims, handbuilt?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=97

Use the drop down menu.
  • pirwin1
    Thanks for the advice, sounds magic!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Just a thought but if you already have a Giant MPH3 ,why not see if you can pick up another for the rear on ebay.Always some on there.I sold a pair not long ago for £50 so you might be able to get just one for the rear for £25.Leaves you plenty for a rear wheel,from Merlin and something towards the bars too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo