Carbon vs Aluminium Frames

paradox1509
paradox1509 Posts: 63
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this subject, I am thinking about buying a carbon enuro sl but I am worried about carbon material. What happens if you have a crash? will it dent like aluminium would, or crack like i think carbon will. The only experience i have of carbon is a fishing rod which was about 10 yrs ago. Thanks for any responses to my dumb question...

Comments

• Douche
    Douche Posts: 134
    Carbon wont bend of flex at all, in the event of a failure it will either snap or delaminate, if you crash a carbon frame you will have to get it properly inspected as the chances are the damage will not be visible, steel and aluminium tend to give a little before they go (aluminium much less than steel) but you wont have that forewarning with anything that is constructed from carbonfibre
    I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
    Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends
  • thanks mate, so basically if you fall off a carbon bike your snookered?
  • there is a difference between toppling off and slamming into a tree. carbon is good if you air the girly side of caution like me but if you like jumps&stunts then you'd need a wrought iron frame or summink
    Train hard, ride easy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carbon can still take some punishment. Depends how the bike is made. Same for alu and steel, very light examples have thin tubes and will ding easily.