Tiagra vs 105... is there much difference??

aznulrizal
aznulrizal Posts: 24
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
i've used SORA before and never used any of the above products. I came across several road bikes with 105 specs at cheap price because they are 2007 models. The bike with 105 normally in the region of £850 at least, so if it is priced at £599... that's a knock down price!! However, i'm not sure if i would afford another 105 spec bike in the future and might settle for Tiagra for replacement/upgrade in 2-3 years time... so here is my concern: how much difference are they in performance? is it kind of once you've tried 105, anything cheaper would be dissapointing??As far as i'm aware, both tiagra and 105 seem similar in mechanism... please correct me if i'm wrong.

Comments

• HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Yes there's a relatively big jump from Tiagra to 105 but minimal between 105 and Ultegra. You're paying for more refinement, percision and better stiffness to weight ratio. Buy a 105 equipped bike and you'll never have to worry about an upgrade unless it takes your fancy. I'm of the opinion that if you can afford better stuff then get better stuff.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Speaking as a complete noob, what makes these components worth the money, apart from weight?

Do they shift better? If so, what makes it better? Does it feel different? Do the components last longer? Do they cost more to replace? And how much more? How much is a replacement chain and cassette for a 105-equipped bike, for instance?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Jamey wrote:
    Speaking as a complete noob, what makes these components worth the money, apart from weight?

Do they shift better? If so, what makes it better? Does it feel different? Do the components last longer? Do they cost more to replace? And how much more? How much is a replacement chain and cassette for a 105-equipped bike, for instance?

The main difference between Tiagra and 105 is the jump from 9 speed to 10 speed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Jamey wrote:

Better materials
    Lighter components
    More R&D in the product
    Shifting is more responsive/crisper
    Braking more robust/definitive
    Looks nicer 8)
    yes they cost more to replace, naturally
    Shimano 105 Chain £11.99 chainreactioncycles
    Shimano 105 Cassette £21.99 chainreactioncycles
    Every winner has scars.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    aznulrizal wrote:
    However, i'm not sure if i would afford another 105 spec bike in the future and might settle for Tiagra for replacement/upgrade in 2-3 years time...

- why should the bike need replacement in 2-3 years time ?
    Do you throw it away and get a new one when the brake blocks wear out ?
    (the equivalent of getting a new car because the ashtray's full :?)

Yes, you will need to replace consumable items like brake blocks, tyres, chains, etc as each one wears out, but a decently-maintained bike should last for ages.

- supposing you do replace it in future, what will stop you buying another last-years-model bike then, getting another 105-bike-for-Tiagra-price ?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    From what I have read 2007 Tiagra is closer to 105 quality than in previous years, the technological trickle-down appears to have trickled down more than previously.

I bought a Tiagra-equipped bike because 9 gears on the back is enough for me. The 8-speed Sora version was £60 less but 105 was £150 more. I could live with 'only' having Tiagra shifters and mech (I care less about these things than others). Replacing the Tektro brakes will be an easy and cheap upgrade if I feel the need.

I think a lot is made of the differences when they are not that huge. Weight difference is insignificant, you'll gain more by changing the tyres or upgrading wheels. Longevity? Not worth arguing about.

The best way to decide is to go to a shop and compare. I'd always recommend a test ride (or at the leat a 'sit') to compare models. In the end if you like the bike and it's a good price then snap it up before someone else does.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I would go with 105

Not becuause of the 10 directly, but becuase that way its compatible with everything above 105, like Ultegra and DA, so if you felt the need to upgrade you could do the mechs and not have to change the shifters (bet you would still want to lol)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Just as a bump up, but also as I am currently looking at this years C2W purchase....

Trek 1.5 - Tiagra STI 9-speed, SRAM 11-26 (£750)
    Trek Pilot 2.0 - Tiagra STI 9-speed, SRAM 11-26 (£850)
    Trek 2.1 - 105 STI 10-speed, Shimano 12-27 (£950)

I get £500, so the additional will be my money...

I can see that there are a couple of other differences, but I'm guessing the main reason for the price jump is the shifters.....

..but is that worth the additional ££'s?

would I be able to get the 1.5 and some 105's separately and install to save some ££'s ??
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I see little difference between Tiagra and 105 other than an extra gear.
    However I'd still go with 105 as it has a longer life span.Yes cassettes and chains will be available for a while to come but the ratios they are available in will reduce to just 1 or 2.
  • I think tiagra is much better than some think.I went from tiagra to dura ace big big difference.My tiagra front mech needed to be changed and I could only get a 105 one the shifting was much better,much better.Although I have found the tiagra in every other way was really excellent and cheap to replace if needs be.
  • Just had a quick look on the Trek website and the cheapest Duar Ace shifters is on the Madone 6.5 at £4,600...!!

Also noticed that they only start the SRAM Force on the Madone 5.5 at just over £3k...compared ot it being on the Boardmand Carbon limited Edition at £999...

no wonder they sold out!!

Looking like the 1.5 it is then....
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    Also noticed that they only start the SRAM Force on the Madone 5.5 at just over £3k...compared ot it being on the Boardmand Carbon limited Edition at £999...

no wonder they sold out!!

The standard boardman Team Comp has SRAM too...
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    its not force but rival , still very good.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    edited December 2009
    aznulrizal wrote:
    i'm not sure if i would afford another 105 spec bike in the future and might settle for Tiagra for replacement/upgrade in 2-3 years time...
    andy_wrx wrote:

I think I know where he's coming from with this question (or at least this is my version of it).

I own a boardman comp which is a tiagra/105 mix, apart from having the bike bug and having to fight off the urge to upgrade there will come a time when some of the components will need overhauling.

The question I am pondering is do you buy a groupset costing say £400, or just buy another bike which comes with similar/better groupset and use the older bike as a winter/backup?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    A while back I heard that Tiagra STI shifters weren't very reliable. I was looking to upgrade my Giant's Sora setup, did the front and rear mechs but kept the Sora shifters. Can't find anything about it now though. Anyone?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Maybe I'm not good at spotting differences, but from Tiagra to 105 I never noticed much of a difference, apart from that I now had 10 gears, and the shifters looked abit better. My tiagra shifters did break though.
  • I made the move from sora/Tiagra to a 105/Ultegra mix. Noticed a big difference in how the shift feels, "feels" quicker as well to move in between gears.

I would go for the 105.
  • I made the move from sora/Tiagra to a 105/Ultegra mix. Noticed a big difference in how the shift feels, "feels" quicker as well to move in between gears.

I would go for the 105.

Same feeling for me! Upgraded only my STI's from Tiagra to Ultegra. Really big improvment in shifting responsiveness, especially when you're accellerating after stopping.

Next plan is to upgrade my rear derailleur to Ultegra when have got enough money :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Garz wrote:
    aznulrizal wrote:
    i'm not sure if i would afford another 105 spec bike in the future and might settle for Tiagra for replacement/upgrade in 2-3 years time...
    andy_wrx wrote:

I think I know where he's coming from with this question (or at least this is my version of it).

I own a boardman comp which is a tiagra/105 mix, apart from having the bike bug and having to fight off the urge to upgrade there will come a time when some of the components will need overhauling.

The question I am pondering is do you buy a groupset costing say £400, or just buy another bike which comes with similar/better groupset and use the older bike as a winter/backup?

I did exactly this, bought a sora equipped ScottS50 speedster for £550 and is still going strong as a winter/commute/training bike, just need a bit more tlc on Sora than better groupsets. I upgraded and bought an Ultegra equipped Litespeed which is massively better than my Scott, and use that as a summer/event /race bike. Most of the blokes in my club did this and I followed suit. :wink:
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Im kinda in this boat, with getting C2W next year and wanting a road bike.

I commute on a MTB at present, mix of Deore and other lower end shimano stuff, and its a 7 speed (!)

With the road bike Ill do some sportives, the odd commute (the MTB will remain as my main commuter) and some evening / weekend fitness / leisure riding. Nothing too heavy.

So really IMO someone in my position would be better advised saving some £ and settling for Tiagra? would 105 make that much difference to me?

Im confused though as most of the bikes I was looking at this year now have 2010 models out, and in a lot of cases the 2009 model will have 105 and the 2010 will have Tiagra?

Does that mean they are trying to save money, or is 2010 Tiagra is comparable with 2009 105?

For example, 2009 Cube Aerial, Shimano Tiagra: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30569

then 2010 Cube Aerial, Shimano Sora:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44408
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Mike400 wrote:
    Does that mean they are trying to save money, or is 2010 Tiagra is comparable with 2009 105?

For example, 2009 Cube Aerial, Shimano Tiagra: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30569

then 2010 Cube Aerial, Shimano Sora:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44408

They're trying to make as much money.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    dmclite wrote:
    I did exactly this, bought a sora equipped ScottS50 speedster for £550 and is still going strong as a winter/commute/training bike, just need a bit more tlc on Sora than better groupsets. I upgraded and bought an Ultegra equipped Litespeed which is massively better than my Scott, and use that as a summer/event /race bike. Most of the blokes in my club did this and I followed suit. :wink:

Ah nice pal, confirmed what I should do then! 8)