Which tyres do you recommend??

sam_son83
sam_son83 Posts: 4
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hey All.

Only recently got into riding and do a lot of riding but 50% is on road and 50% through forest/off road. Im looking for some tyres that would be a good balance between the two or should i just pick one and stick with those tyres. If this is the case id prefer some decent off road tyres with good grip and offering less punctures.

Thanks again

Sam

Comments

• Old Git On A Bike
    Old Git On A Bike Posts: 317
    edited April 2008
    Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to sort of hijack your topic, I was just about to start a new topic asking about these tyres, then I saw your post, which refers to tyres for road, forest and puncture protection, so I'll post it here rather than starting a seperate topic about it.

I was planning on getting some sort of semi slick tyre, as I ride mostly on tarmac/paved surfaces, but I want something for riding off road trails during the summer months, so, yet again, I have been through all the tyres on Chain Reaction Cycles tonight, damn, it's hard picking tyres out, but I have to admit that I do like the look of these, good puncture protection, made for forests and faster than my current type of knobbly tyres on tarmac:

Continental Flow Protection £24.99

This is the write up for them:
    Forests and forest paths are their turf. The Flow is your reliable companion for faster freeriding and cross country riding. A low profile centre tread for low rolling resistance, and one of the lightest 2.3" tyre constructions is the combination that paves the way on fire tracks, compacted mud and on any other harder surfaces.
    The Flow will also give a fast ride on tarmac compared to more knobbly MTB tyre and so is ideal for riders who need performance both on and off road.

The technical stuff:
    26 x 2.3 Folding - All Black
    Flow ProTection incorporates a foldable Kevlar bead, DuraSkin sidewall protection and long-wearing, puncture-resistant rubber compound.
    3 Fabric Plies/180 tpi.

18851.jpg

Has anyone here used those tyres, what do they ride like?

One more question, I have seen tryes described as either wire or folding, what exactly is the difference, all I know is that folding tyres are easier to fit, what are the pros or cons between wired or folding, if any?
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Hello Sam

Need to know more about the ground conditions mate, sandy, hard pack, all year mud, roots, rocks etc. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas then, hardest part is choosing whos ideal tyre combo is best!
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I have at least 4 sets of tyres on various bikes and in the shed and none of them do both well. I run slicks for commuting (Schwalbe City Jet with tyre liners) and change them out for knobblies at the weekend. It's a hassle, but i have found the compromise of either type is too great and semi-slicks do neither particularly well. If i'm riding on road to an off road ride, i pump the knobblies up rock hard to minimise rolling resistance and then lower the pressure when i get there.
  • I got these for my old mtb which I use for towpath / forest fireroad night riding. There quick and a good price but if mud is envolved look elsewhere.
    :D
    http://merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&p ... goryId=132
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    OGOAB, the wire/folding refers to the bead of the tyre - the bit which site inside the rim. "Wire" is a thin wire of steel runnung round, whereas folding is lots of small sections around the bead, often made of Kevlar, to save weight, and make it possible to fold the tyre, like this
    AA576_BIG.jpg
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Continental Flow Protection

I have the Continental Leader (same tyre, just 2.1" not 2.3") as my "summer" tyre (mix of road, chalk and compacted gravel paths).

Didn't get to ride more than a couple of hundred miles on them last year but was happy with them. Happy enough to a) have bought the Vapor as a winter tyre and b) put the Leaders back on for this summer.

Rafe
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Im going to jump in a listen here as well.
    - I use my second bike to get into campus and back for lectures, so i dont have to wear out my nice bike which i keep for weekends/evenings. However i also lend said second biek to mates without fairly often.

So again it needs to be able to be good enough to road daily. Without knackering tyres or being to hard on the legs. But then also be able to make do on the rougher stuff. Llandegla and Cannock mainly.

Best ive found sofar are my old spesh fastracs

Daniel
  • high rollers?