Supersonic - Wharncliffe

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
edited April 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Following on from the "your trails" thread a bit, saw this quote below from the peaty interview on bikeradars home page. you ever seen him riding over there? never heard of wharncliffe, they really that good?
You’re a great advocate for the trail building at Wharncliffe woods in Sheffield. Do you get stuck in with the building and how important are your local trails to you?

I have been riding in Wharncliffe for about seventeen years now, so the trails mean a lot to me. They are some of the best/most technical cross country trails I have ridden anywhere in the world, and will do so for a long time to come. I have helped a little bit with the building, but while I am still racing week in week out I don’t have much time to get stuck in properly.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, they really are that good! I am lucky to live less than 3km from the start, and started riding there in 1994. Always knew they were a bit special, and Peaty and his friends helped the place take off. Its steep (very steep!), rocky, technical - but there are a number of routes for all abilities and a myriad of unmarked trails. Plus 5 or 6 Dh runs, jumps - has it all.

Never seen peaty there while there myself, but bumped into him around Chapeltown a few times, and in Chap Park in the 90s.

Check it out, its an amazing place. natural riding at its best (with a little help on some of the trails ;-))
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    If I'm ever over in that direction i shall keep my bike by my side :) you're lucky to live 3km from the start of any decent riding let alone somewhere like that! technical XC, a smattering of DH runs and jumps? i might be thinking of making a move :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, I was spoiled growing up! North Sheffield a great place to be if a mountain biker.