Chainset? Shimano XT or Race Face Evolve XC X-Type

DjSki
DjSki Posts: 13
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Guys,

I can get these for about the same price (£85) so which one should I get? Race face a bit heavier ande a bit more bling? XT lighter and more of a known quantity.......

RRP on Race Face £30 higher.

WHat do you think.???

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    XT.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • from a longevity point of view the race face chainrings will be going long after the shaimano ones have given up the ghost, and yes the race face ones are better looking, although the castings on the lower spec ones can be a little rough. deus however is bike bling!
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I had Evolve XC on my last bike, and XT on my current bike, and they both have served/are serving me well.

Flip a coin :wink:
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I've got the Evolve XC. Everything was going great until my chain got stuck. I'm now looking at replacing the middle chainring.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12567354

I did have to replace the X-Type bottom bracket after about 300 winter miles too. From what I hear the Hollowtech bottom bracket is better. As for chainrings I'm sticking with Race Face despite my mis-hap.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Go for the XT one thing that Shimano does very well.

For what i have heard race face also have bottom bracket issues
    so if you go for the race face and your BB goes replace with a
    BETD or a Hope BB.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    I have an XT and a Raceface Ride XC, If the BB that somes with the Evolve is anything like the one that comes with the Ride, then its not a patch on the XT one. I have to say the XT one is super impressive, though I have had to change a ring a little sooner than I would have expected. Go for XT, who needs bling when you have quality engineering and design....?
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • DjSki
    DjSki Posts: 13
    Thanks for the advice lads.

Appreciated.