Wired or Wireless?

Xybadog
Xybadog Posts: 124
edited February 2009 in MTB general
I've been looking at bike computers and would prefer wireless for obvious reasons (no wires :? ), but are there any reasons why the wireless option may not be a good idea for off-road? I'm thinking because of the extra vibration and crud.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." what the f*ck is that all about? 8)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2038431/

Comments

• ben1777
    ben1777 Posts: 128
    I've used a 15 quid wireless one from argos off road for about a year now and never had any problems. I've even completeley submerged it in water several times.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Wireless will be fine.No wires to get snagged on rocks,trees,or bushes either.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Go wirless, wires can snag, snap or work harden if you have suspension forks. I've got a Trek Incite 8i and it's been fine, gives the same figures as a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx which cost 10 times more.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    wireless off road definately. Wired is for road in my opinion, with trees, bushs, forks and rocks having no wires is definately and advantage!
  • Xybadog
    Xybadog Posts: 124
    Cheers guys. Wireless it is then!
    "Life is like a box of chocolates..." what the f*ck is that all about? 8)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2038431/
  • tps58
    tps58 Posts: 12
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Go wirless, wires can snag, snap or work harden if you have suspension forks. I've got a Trek Incite 8i and it's been fine, gives the same figures as a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx which cost 10 times more.

Hi Stumpy. How/where did you mount the 8i ? The sensor doesn't seem to fit anywhere sensible (on a Trek EX) and the instructions are a pile of poo.

Thanks

T
  • cycle computers have a transmitting device installed that send messages about where you are to the governments satallites via radio and mobile phone frequencies.

they know where you are at any given moment and can use those same frequencies to wipe put your technology or plant ideas into your head.
  • i dont know what your talking about jesus, your watching us all permanently, you dont seem to worry about that! 8)
  • I am not Zorro.
  • stumpyjon
    ^^ he's off again :roll:

tps58

can't actually remember to be honest (it stopped working a little while after I posted, display went flaky :oops: ). Don't remember having problems mounting the sensor on my forks though (FOX Talas 32's).

Swapped to Cateye Strada Wirless now.

• tps58
    tps58 Posts: 12
    stumpyjon wrote:
    ^^ he's off again :roll:

tps58

can't actually remember to be honest (it stopped working a little while after I posted, display went flaky :oops: ). Don't remember having problems mounting the sensor on my forks though (FOX Talas 32's).

Swapped to Cateye Strada Wirless now.

Thanks for the reply. The sensor doesn't sit at all flush with the forks. Mounting at the rear (like I've seen on Le Tour bikes on tele) isn't feasible - too big a gap. The instructions don't even make clear which way around to mount the sensor.

Think I might follow your lead and try the Cateye. Had a wired cateye for years on my old Mount Vision and its been great.

Bought it thrown in with my new Trek EX 8 today and I'm really chuffed... apart from the computer.

BTW - do you think I need a tin foil helmet ? :lol:

Cheers

T
  • Anderzz
    Anderzz Posts: 103
    Ive got a wireless strada, and once I got it working right, its spot on :)
  • From a mechanics point of view, wireless. Far easier to fit and set up. Also should you need to remove the forks to fit a new headset or whatever, not having a wire joining the bars and forks is a big help! :D

I only have one wired computer and that is a cadence one on a road bike (wireless cadence is £££.
  • the absoult only thing i can think off is if the computer falls off then its still attached to the bike and therefore less likely to go missing in a crach :?

but defo go for the wireless option
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Anderzz , stumpyjon

Would you recomment the strada, its either that or a mavic wintech thingy.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • wireless for me.
  • stumpyjon
    Stradas are pretty good (i've got 3 :shock: ), seem to have good sensor to head unit range, easy to set up and I love the way you change the reading, you just tap the bottom of the unit, dead easy even with artic gloves on.