My First Disc Brakes - Newbie Questions!

Mookarts
Mookarts Posts: 24
edited April 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
My new bike has disc brakes (Hayes Stroker) and this is the first time I've not had rim brakes.

I'd understood the brakes need bedding in and although the performance was initially poor it did improve markedly in the first 20 miles.

Now I've ridden about another 20, the performance seems to have dropped off massively at the front. I have to really squeeze the lever REALLY hard in order to lock the wheel and at light pressure I get a squealing sound.

The back brake is fine.

Most of my recent rides were 5 -10 miles, so the bike has had a lot of washes in this time? Is it likely, I've got some cleaning fluid on the rotors (I don't think I have, but if so how should I clean them, white spirit?) or is it likely to be something else?

Comments

• mr mangos
    mr mangos Posts: 174
    Sounds like contaminated pads, which means replacing them. You could try cleaning the discs with some isopropyl alcohol.
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Probably one of the stupidest things I've said today but if the brakes are new, what about the cables? Sure they don't need re-adjusting on the caliper/lever?
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Probably one of the stupidest things I've said today but if the brakes are new, what about the cables? Sure they don't need re-adjusting on the caliper/lever?

the hydraulic cables? :)
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    mr mangos wrote:
    Sounds like contaminated pads, which means replacing them. You could try cleaning the discs with some isopropyl alcohol.

If it is the pads that are contaminated, you may be able to salvage them. Take the pads out and wait until your wife/mother/girlfriend has the oven on. When she switches it off, pop your pads in the oven and wait until it cools down. Take the pads out, replace in the caliper and you should be back in action - the heat of the oven will drive off any oily contaminants.

Might be worth cleaning the disc with Isopropyl Alcohol too while you've got the pads out.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    you can also burn the pads off with flamable degreasers, that normal works
  • in the past i've used some rough grit sand paper to 'clean' the pads which has worked very well!
    also give the discs a gentle rub down every now and again with some sand paper to take thge shine of them, never noticed any ill effects on them after! (hope mini's) infact was thinking of upgrading but after a serious clean up my confidence has been resored!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    wash the rotors with warm soapy water and leave to dry, with the pads just rub them with a bit of wet and dry paper, if there is any contamination, it should be gone. if this doesn't work, take it back to the shop you got it from and complain, it usually works more often than not :lol:
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"