Isle of Skye....Help!

billynobates
billynobates Posts: 89
edited June 2008 in MTB rides
I'm fortunate to be going to this fab part of Scotland in June and plan on taking my bike (do Easyjet carry bikes?) so i would be really grateful for any routes,ride info anyone could give....thanks :D

Comments

• liam333
    liam333 Posts: 189
    Look at the section on earthed 4, it's epic!
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    I live in Skye and do a fair bit of road biking. I would be happy to share some routes. We (usually 6-8 of us) go for run on a Tues at pm for a couple of hours, meeting at Portree High School. Roads around her are mostly rolling/hilly with a lot of goodd circuits to ride.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I will be there at the end of June also and am interested in getting some biking done if poss.
  • I've done the Sligachan route twice and the Quiraing once as per the MBR route of a couple of years back.

The route would work work better backwards in both cases.

With the Sligachan route this is definitely the case - the route linked above is the better way round but I found the first part (or the last part if you do it the MBR way) was utterly dire - the bit through Strath Mor had no decernable path at all and if wet you may cause decernable damage.
    This time we did an "out and back" run from the Sligachan hotel to the top of Am Mam however I would recommend extending it down the "far" side of Am Mam to where the route meets the road as the decent is quite good.

The route is very technical and if you're used to carrying the bike over tricky ground I wouldn't recommend it at all - if you like rock gardens and short, technical climbs, wheelying and jumping drainage gullys and the like then it's ace.

Be aware the midges at the Sligachan hotel car park are evil vicious little bitters - the worst I've come across.

The Quiraing route is again very technical and would be a better walk than ride (I didn't take the advice...)
    A lot is ridable given that it is quite technical but if it goes wrong there are quite a few places it would go badly wrong and you would probably become an "opportunity" for the mountain rescue teams (I'm assuming they don't have "problems" they only have "opportunities"). :D

Also rode to the Old Inn, Carbost from the hostel and that was a good ride. Well the return to the hostel was. (stayed at Skywalkers - recommended).

C.
  • Thanks for the info BaronVonp7, i'll deffo be trying the Sligachan route and other bits and bobs i can fit in around family stuff. If i discover any gems i'll post it on here.