Inferiority complex

god1406
god1406 Posts: 554
edited April 2008 in MTB general
what is it about wanting bigger better things?

When the Kona was my primary bike I would be thinking, 'damn, if only these forks were longer, and these wheels were stronger, and this frame was bigger, and these brakes were hydraulic, and these cranks were stronger. Then I would be thoroughly satisfied'

Now I have all of those things, and still my thirst has not been quenched!

damn consumerism!

tell me i'm not the only one...

Comments

• I started taking my bike out into the mud again properly just before christmas, and joined here around the same time. I always have the problem of getting involved with something and then wanting to find out about it. Once I've found out about it, I then know that whatever I have, isn't as good as it could be, and that leads to the wanting.... And that leads to collections of "What ..... Magazine" and hours spent scouring the net for deals. I may as well save the money, save the time and just enjoy myself!

So I've been very careful. I have fitted new tyres, because the old ones were really unusable in any sort of mud. And I've also got new pads for my rear V-brake. But I managed not to buy the new discbrake upgrade that I knew I needed, along with the new back wheel that would have gone with it. Nor have I changed from my original forks with all of about 20mm useful suspension.

I just decided that there will be nothing new unless it is replacing a broken part that cannot be fixed or serviced.

This is mainly because my shopping list already stands at:
      new hard disk storage to go with the stereo in the house, minimum 2 new windsurf sails, plus mast and boom, new windsurf board, snowboard and bindings, GPS and VHF for the boat, Antifouling for the boat ( £99 for a 2.5 litre can *$£%*&*^%^$!!! ) Total: Somewhere between £1000 and £5000, depending on what review I've just read!
    I knew biking had to be one of those things where the bike I had would have to be enough. And hey, this is the UK, what do you really need?
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Soz mate... you're the only one!

I'm well happy with me kit esp this beaut....http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1328270/
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    Im also addicted to upgrades and i love it :wink:
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • before i started riding in the local group i was loioking into a few little trick bits for the bike to improve it (most likely mainly looks!), but after the first ride i realised i Dont need to! the bike is fine its just my heart saying pimp it!! more Carbon is good! infact all ive doen since is rebuild the rear hub and change my pedals!!

the trouble is having spare time and lots of cycling websites with silly 'one off' deals and a heart that sais Buy it over your head's sensible dont need it thoughts!!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • i built my first mounty about 8 months ago and thought `wow, tourney, that's cool`, now I think `if only i had an r on my xt groupset`
    Train hard, ride easy
  • NEILHEAD
    NEILHEAD Posts: 435
    As long as you buy the best part you can afford and you Actually need the part then its ok, I think :wink:
    Never trust a man with facial hair.

http://neilhead.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike/
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    You're not the only one!
    For years my Giant Rincon had been more than good enough. It got me around, it got pounded along the Ridgeway, through the local woods, followed my mate on his jump bike at the local bmx track and across town for the shopping!
    Then, I started using it for commuting. Thought I'd give it a bit of a service. Noticed that the drivechain was knackered. Then that clunking noise was the forks wobbling in the tubes . . .
    After replacing all that needed replacing the upgrade bug has hit!
    Forks, pedals, wheels (the originals for commuting, a new set with knobly tyres for off road) and now disk breaks are being added! I don't need them, I need to learn how to use what I've got! But after a near miss with a tree on Saturday I'm convinced that disks will be an improvement. At least I won't have to fiddle about with V-brake blocks each time I change the wheels over!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you are deffinately not the only one, i just bought a newer stumpjumper even though there is nowt wrong with the old one!!

there are new wheels, pedals, chain, tyres and tubes en route too to be divided up amongst the 3 bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ermmm no comment.

must get to the BA meeting.

:oops:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    haha, you must be the biggest culprit nick, are we gonna get a pic of all your bikes in a row one day?
  • nicklouse
    img1604ci6.jpg
    my kitchen a while ago. there is now another 2 bikes and a frame in there. and another4? in the garage! Oh and the BMX.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    you wouldnt have a wide enough lense for the full stable eh?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I know what you mean, when I just had the xc bike I had a craving for doing bigger stuff and didn't want to ruin the xc bike. Along came the Patriot and I couldn't be happier :D
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Too Much is Never Enough...!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    dave_hill wrote:
    Too Much is Never Enough...!

ideal number of bikes is X+1 where X=current number of bikes.
  • Anonymous
    couldnt agree more, wish i had never needed to sell any of my bikes to finance replacements and upgrades. i have another trip to the falklands later this year so the extra pay will be going towads another bike, look forward to a what 6 inch bike thread..........
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Nick - lovely collection there.

I think where it does go wrong is when the consumerism takes over the actual riding.

I know of riders who talk about nothing but the next bit of bling kit. Yet can't get up a half decent hill and fall off on every hint of a drop.

Meanwhile the guy/girl on the £500 bike is having a whale of a time without so much as a mention of "needing better brakes" or whatever.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I got back into mountain biking a few years ago after a 10 year gap and because of my fond memory of my old Kona Lava Dome I went out and spent £800 on a Kona Stuff which turned out to be under specced for the money and not light enough or the right geometry/reach for my intended usage (Trail centre XC).
    I have now purchased a Carrera Fury which ,with a few upgrades,is giving me more enjoyment and value than the Kona ever did despite costing just over half as much ! The Kona hasnt left the shed since.
    I find that upgrading as and when things break or wear out is the best option otherwise you can spend thousands and it gets out of hand.You never NEED as much new kit as you think in my experience :)
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Mike - Nail on head.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • nicklouse
    more like wrong bike first time round :wink: a suitable Kona would be giving the same satisfaction as the Fury.
  • KonaMike
    nicklouse wrote:
    more like wrong bike first time round :wink: a suitable Kona would be giving the same satisfaction as the Fury.

You are quite right,it was a poor bike choice but even a £700 XC Kona would have been poorer spec than the Fury. Bargain bike !! 8)
  • Ok so I have only had my new mountain bike for a month now. When I first decided that I was going to get back into cycling I set a budget of £1000 to buy the bike and the kit. I managed to get everything I need and my current spend is at £950.

I have got (in my eyes) so fairly decent kit that is going to last me for a a while and the amount of enjoyment I have been getting out of my bike is just amazing. If I'm not out on it I am cleaning it, reading about how to look after it or talking about it. My girlfriend now thinks that Mountain Bikes are a boring subject for some reason.

I now have a list in my head of items that I want to upgrade which include car rack, saddle more cycling clothing etc. The thing for me is that as long as I am using the bike I will by one item from my list every month up to a value of £50. If I am still feeling the same next year then maybe I will increase my budget but for now £50 is my limit.

Basically my premise is if I am getting regular enjoyment out of it then it is worth spending money on it but if I stop for a while then I wont spend the £50 and I wont be wasting my money. Its all to easy to go mad and buy the super dupper carbon fibre sports XT shiny thing for £500 and then leave it standing in the shed for a year and thats a trap I don't want to fall into.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    think of the cake I could have bought with the thousands of £'s I've wasted on bikes :(

there are not nearly enough cake-related topics since the forum was displaced.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I spend fortunes on bikes and upgrades, I'm a total magpie for shinney stuff. Although I "try" to limit myself to chaning parts that have ether died, or are unsuiitable. There's of course a BIG difference between maintenance and upgrades. 2x full drive trains a year aren't unsual on my XC bike.

Top of my head I've spent about £10,500 on bikes and upgrades in the last 2 1/2 years since I got back into MTB'ing. Not including a single consumable part (chains, rings, tyres, pads, cassattes etc). or item of riding clothing or safety wear.

I'm sat here now with a massive Wiggle box next to my desk with about £100's worth of kit in it.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE riding, and LOVE my bikes, but I'm sure if I wasn't such a Magpie and constantly completing with my Mates for speed and pure bling. I'd be hitting the trail centres every weekend on a £500 hardtail, happy as larry. Ha ha.
  • KonaMike
    I work with computers and people often ask me 'should I upgrade?' I always give the same reply 'Is it doing what you want it to do?' The same goes for bikes,if its doing what you want it to do then you dont need to upgrade,just enjoy it and replace what falls off!!