Northumberland, tourer or MTB?

Docsavage
Docsavage Posts: 58
I'm off for a week in Northumberland (near the national park) and am trying to figure out if I should take my tourer or road bike or MTB.(only room/wife's tolerance for one)
any suggestions for day rides or outings or locations?
better downhill

Comments

• Docsavage wrote:
    I'm off for a week in Northumberland (near the national park) and am trying to figure out if I should take my tourer or road bike or MTB.(only room/wife's tolerance for one)

Not sure where you will be staying but assume possibly Rothbury, Bellingham or Kielder area. As someone who has cycled these roads for X number of years I would suggest a tourer. There are more miiles of roads in Northumberland than any other county in the UK (official) and it also has the least density of traffic. There are many rides you can make up as you go along. Just make sure you've got a good map or GPS system. It's easy to get lost and can be pretty remote at times bu the locals are friendly!

Peter
    Chairman
    Gosforth RC
    Organiser - UCI Northern Rock Cyclone www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk
  • Docsavage
    Docsavage Posts: 58
    Docsavage wrote:

Not sure where you will be staying but assume possibly Rothbury, Bellingham or Kielder area. As someone who has cycled these roads for X number of years I would suggest a tourer. There are more miiles of roads in Northumberland than any other county in the UK (official) and it also has the least density of traffic. There are many rides you can make up as you go along. Just make sure you've got a good map or GPS system. It's easy to get lost and can be pretty remote at times bu the locals are friendly!

Peter
    Chairman
    Gosforth RC

Thanks for that
    Yes, staying Just west of Rothbury. I was looking on google earth and saw lots of forest & tracks, but I would definitely prefer it on my tourer.

I'll take my OS maps though!
    better downhill
  • Docsavage wrote:
    Docsavage wrote:

Peter
    Chairman
    Gosforth RC

Thanks for that
    Yes, staying Just west of Rothbury. I was looking on google earth and saw lots of forest & tracks, but I would definitely prefer it on my tourer.

I'll take my OS maps though!

Presume therefore you are out towards Thropton. There are lots of great routes going up into the Keilder valley and over towards Bellingham and the Tyne Valley. I've been riding these roads since moses was a boy and still never get tired of them :D
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Toured around the Bordres area a fair bit, love it up there, so I'd have no hesistation in taking your tourer, theres always going to be the liklehood of rain so mudguards I reckon are advisable
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead