Which Wheelset?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
The bike I am intending to buy (very soon), comes with 'Shimano Deore -32 Hole Disc' hubs & 'WTB LaserDisc Trail, Double Wall, 32 Hole Disc' rims with 'DT 15 Gauge Black Stainless' spokes.

Now, I'm not one for changing things (especially on a new bike) until something actually needs replacing (due to cost issues), but I do like the 'Halo Freedom' Wheelset, which have 'sealed bearing Halo Spin Doctor' hubs and 'Black ED 14g' spokes.

I've read some very positive reviews about the 'Halo' set, but I have heard the odd one or two concerns regarding the 'WTB' set being easy to damage. Does anyone know which would be the better of the two sets?

I'm no 'DH Demon' (far from it), but I will be doing rocky descents etc.

Cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• I have some WTB speed disc which I didn't manage to put out of true in 9 months of rough riding/botched landings on my Rocky Ridge.
    Not the model you (will) have admittedly,and they are an 'AM' rim,but I can't fault them.

However,I replaced them for some Halo Freedoms for the pimpy white option.
    Absolutely love them,but (and it is a big but to some people),the rear hub is loud.
    It doesn't bother me personally,but for some people that is an issue.

Just thought I'd let you know,just in case :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Johnny Napalm
    Cheers, Cunning.

I have to admit to wanting to stick the white 'Freedoms' on the 2008 model...might make me look cooler when I do the usual embarrassing things I shouldn't do. :roll:

How's the 'Ridge'? I only know of one ther guy who has one...and he's only just bought his.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The thing to do is run the wheels for a bit, see if they hold up well, spend money to get them trued once if they need it, then replace if you kill them.
  • How's the 'Ridge'? I only know of one ther guy who has one

Taking more than it was designed for if I'm honest.
    I may be wrong here,but I think GT destroyer or Cheesey has one too???

Mine is the '07 model,and the '08 model has a different frame build.
    Whereas the '07 model has massive gussets on down tube/headtube/top tube area,the '08 model is maga hydroformed with curvy downtube and loses the gussets,and apparently Marin had to spec a triple chainset on the '08 because shops and customers 'didn't get' the dual ring and bashring combination that was on the '07.

I had problems finding an '07 back last June as they were in short supply,but I'd take an '07 over an '08 anyday.
    Now the cheapest er,'hardcore hardtail' (Northside Ridge) has the same frame as the '07 Rocky ridge,while the higher spec ones have the bendy frame.

Anyway,it is (was??) fantastic 8)
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Johnny Napalm
    The thing to do is run the wheels for a bit, see if they hold up well, spend money to get them trued once if they need it, then replace if you kill them.

I think that's a good idea, which I will put into practice. I suppose I'd better get the bike first, eh!

Cunning, I tried to get an '07 model last year, but couldn't find one anywhere.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    It's easy g who has the Rocky Ridge, and a great looking bike it is too.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs