Tire pressure, for on road. MTB tyres. 65psi max really max?

LaurenceGough
LaurenceGough Posts: 218
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

Opened up my latest Wiggle order today, man the Muc off chain cleaner and lube is amazing, chain is like new, you should have seen the crap that come off... :)

I got some road tires also, but I'm going to fit them when I next get a puncture (touch wood never!) as to make use of taking off the tyres.

For now though I would like to use my new pump with my old tires.

I pumped it up to 65psi, I noticed while pumping the gauge went up (it didn't when I connected it to tire, because of 1 way valve right?) but when I stopped it would slowly go down a bit, then stop, is this just normal?

My standard tyres on my Mongoose Tyax Elite say 65psi max, I only use the bike on road currently so would I be okay running a bit more?

Also when you remove the pump head, you know the slight pop/hiss how much psi does that take off?

Thanks guys!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDLVBPspSK4

is pretty cool. Generally your tyre will rip/blow off before you damage the rim, however if you are unlucky the rim will split and explode! I run my smooth commuting tyres at 80, even though they say 65 so that they are rock hard.
  • Alright thanks Ride, I'll perhaps try a little more PSI depending on if I get any more replies before tomorrow.
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Got nearly 90psi in rear at moment, kinda took my eye off the gauge when filling it from air line at work and, as it hadn't exploded, decided to ride at that pressure.
    Bit uncomfortable on broken road surface but bloody fast. :)
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    MTB tires are designed to be at a lower pressure then road but with a higher volume. I find that at 50psi my MTB tyres are as hard as nails, usually run them at 40psi.

my road bike tires are at 100psi but at 40 or 50 they would be on the rims.

the reccomendations are there for a reason, whilst there will be a cirtain percentage of buffer zone between reccomended and failure you should really follow them.. whilst you can send an MTB tire over 100psi in a feild with some saftey specs its probably not the best idea if you are actually going to use it.

FYI my MTB tyres say "40-65" and at 35 I pinch flatted and ripped up a tube.

hoiw quick does the needle go down again? its probably just the pressure diffusing into the tube from the valve and air hose as the valve will act as a bottleneck to the air flow.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    As you up the pressure, keep checking around the rim that the bead is still properly seated every few pump strokes. If it does happen, a blowoff is fecking loud!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I normaly use 40psi, and check it regulary