SRAM freehub question

MegaCycle
MegaCycle Posts: 236
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I have just bought a new set of wheels that were meant to come with a SRAM freehub. Only prob is that on the outside of the box, it has the “Campagnolo” box ticked.

Now, this could be an error (ie they’ve used the wrong box) as the hub does seem to fit my Ultegra 10sp cassette, but just to be 100% sure, can anyone tell me what the spline pattern of Campag hubs looks like compared to the SRAM ones? The hub I’ve got has an uneven pattern of splines (some wide, some narrow) and I want to make sure it really is the SRAM.

Thanks!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    SRAM is the same spline pattern as Shimano. If Shimano will fit, so will SRAM. A Campag cassette shouldn't fit on the wheels if a shimano one does.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    Well the cassette fits on the hub fine, so I guess that means it must be right!

Thanks for the confirmation.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    SRAM fits the sam hub as the Shimano 8/9/10 but not the new Dura Ace 10. So if your Ultegra fits then the SRAM will. so you can tick this one "box error" I guess.
  • My SRAM OG1070 cassette will not fit my freehub:
    boss.jpg

What should I do? Buy new cassette? Buy new freehub? How difficult is it to change the freehub (on ROL wheels)?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    That looks like Shimano/SRAM hub spline pattern.

In what way does it 'not fit' ?
    - won't slide on at all
    - goes on but too big/too short and can't do up lockring
    - etc

Note that the cassette has one wider lug on it, which fits into the wider groove next to the narrower spline on the hub (which your photo shows beautifully)...
  • The cassette slides on about a centimeter or so, but is stopped where the splines get higher. I guess I have a "new Dura Ace 10" hub. That sucks, because I have been told that SRAM is Shimano compatible.

Can anyone recommend a tool to remove the freehub based on the picture above? I'm planning on replacing it with an Ultegra one.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    An Ultegra freehub will not fit on that hub. They only fit on Shimano ones.
  • andy_wrx
    So the spline pattern is correct, the spline height is the problem ?

Yes, that does sound like a 'Shimano 10sp-only' freehub.

Then you'd need a Shimano 10sp cassette - 105, Ultegra, DA
    - 105 would be cheaper than a new freehub...

I must admit I've never seen a ROL wheel, but had a look on their website and it allows you to order wheels with a choice of Campag or Shimano/SRAM freehub
    - if a SRAM cassette won't fit because of the splines, then Shimano 8 & 9sp won't fit either, so it's not 'Shimano/SRAM' it's Shimano-10sp only

Dunno : suggest you ask ROL via the email address on their website
  • Yes, the pattern is correct, spline height is the problem. I just sent an e-mail to ROL.

Can't believe I missed this little detail when ordering my components. :evil:

Is there such a thing as a 10 speed Ultegra 11-28 cassette that would fit my hub?
  • andy_wrx
    12-27 is the closest you can do I think...105 or Ultegra will fit....not that much difference in price any more, prices seem to gave gone up about 50% since last year...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13593

Re your being a '10sp-only' freehub, see Sheldon
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html
    - '10 Speed and Hollowtech II' down :ooks like you have what Sheldon refers to as an 'off-brand' (ROL rather than Shimano) 10sp-only hub, with the longer splines.
  • Within minutes I got a reply from ROL. Apparently I need a Shimano 9 speed cassette body. Luckily, my ROL dealer has these in stock, so things will work out. :D
  • andy_wrx
    Glad you're sorted. Good luck with it.