Mavic or DT Swiss wheelset

paul williams
paul williams Posts: 41
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
I am planning to buy a new all mountain wheelset for my Heckler soon and can't decide between the Mavic Crossmax or DT Swiss EX1750, both are about the same price and weight and come with 20mm axle's, any thought's on either would be appreciated, or any other recommendations, thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd get a wheelset handbuilt by merlin. Maybe EX823 on proII with dt comps, or 721
  • was thinking of going down the factory built route
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Check spare part availability - some mavics can be a pain. Do like the adjustable cartridge angular bearings though.

I run CrossMax Enduro, seem a realtively stiff package for the weight.

Actually I do prefer a handbuilt set, as usually cheaper and better built with easier to get parts. Not always as light, but worth pricing up a couple of alternatives.
  • anybody know if chain reaction cycles or merlin custom wheel builds are any good, or recommend another good mail order wheel builder, thanks
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Merlin builds are excellent. To qualify this, i've had three sets. Two lots of 719 on pro II and 717 on deore. They have all arrived true and evenly tensioned and have remained that way despite my best efforts.

I weigh roughly 100Kg, on the 719's i've done 12' drops on a hardtail with 100mm XC forks as well as spending an entire summer DJing on them. There was not a wobble, even after cycling over a BMX.

The 717 i've done 2' drops to flat with rigid forks as well as plenty of street/jumpy stuff.

I am not a smooth or skillfull rider, these wheels have held up admirably considering the abuse i've given them, seriously not a single wobble. I would not use another wheelbuilder.
  • sounds like a good enough recommendation for me ride-whenever, thanks