Kona Kula Deluxe vs Kona King Kikapu

Ibroome
Ibroome Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

After finally moving to an area more suited to XC MTB (from Surrey to West Yorkshire) ive been looking into getting back into riding and entering competitions after a 15 year gap. Ive been trauling the mags and websites and managed to get my choice of bikes down to Kona Kula Deluxe (HT) or Kona King Kikapu (FS), both 2007 models. I can get them for basically the same price so its just down to whether I go for the HT or FS bike.

I really want to get into competition riding once i get myself back upto speed but with a baby on the way I also cant afford to make a mistake with which bike I go for.

ok whaffling over :) questions:

1) are both these bikes perfectly suitable for entering into races? The Kula is marketed as an XC Race bike but as ive read in various places that doesnt gaurantee anything.

2) for racing and also general use is a FS preferable or a HT? I do like the lightness and thus the control of the HT but I dont want to kick myself out of things competitively by buying the wrong bike.

Any advice would be very welcome :)

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Get the FS,

if you ride for fun on trails you cant beat sus, in fact i would say some of the downs these days are almost painful on anything but full sus. doable but painfull!

Go for the kikapu, as i know someone who bought a 2007 one recently and seems happy with his bike
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    If your focus is on racing, I'd go for the Kula - lighter nicer frame, cranks and fork and it's just more of an XC race bike.

Ride some bikes though - with a 15 year gap - Konas will be nothing like what you remember although the Kula will at least be a HT which I'm guessing is what you had back then.

The '07 King Kikapu is a nice bike at the bargain prices it's now going for but I wouldn't pick one for racing...

A Hei Hei maybe, now you're talking XC race full suss goodness! :twisted:
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I'm not into the racing, but I was torn between the two too..

I went with the Kula Deluxe (been riding a clapped out P7 for the last 10 years), as I thought I'd better hone my skills before progressing to a FS. Also I couldn't afford a decent FS!!

I'm well happy with the Kula Deluxe, except for the BB giving up after about 300 miles..
  • Ibroome
    Ibroome Posts: 3
    Thanks Guys, im leaning towards the kikapu. Ive read a number of articles about the package and it seems pretty clear that the biggest factor against its race worthiness is its wheels. These id replace with race ready rims and tyres anyhow which will reduce the weight. I do agree with the thoughts on the HT though. Its a toughy for sure.

My budget is about 850. I was just wondering if anyone had any alternative recommendations? Ive trawled the mags and the web and although ive considered many options i always get pulled up out of my budget. the Konas just seem to be the best options with my tight budget given the discounts available on them.
  • paulym31
    paulym31 Posts: 51
    Go with the Kikapu. The initial weight disadvantages of the FS setup are more than made up for by the advantages in comfort and traction. If you get serious about your racing a few well thought out upgrades will bring the spec up to that of the Kula and bring the weight down.
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.