How many brakes on a fixie ?

karl j
karl j Posts: 517
edited March 2008 in Road general
Er, well, thats it really

Legally speaking i mean, none of this Londoner-no-brakes stuff :shock:

I always thought you only need one as the pedals act as a secondery brake and so there - you've got two braking systems.

Just bugged by something my neighbour said the other day....
Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    By law a bicycle is meant to have two brakes. With a fixed I believe that the fact that you can brake using the drivetrain means you can run with one. I'm not sure if this has been tested in a court of law though.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    legally you just need to add a front brake as the fixed setup counts as a back brake
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i run front brake 'only'.

it's perfectly sufficient.
  • peejay78
    nb: i'm a londonder.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    This morning I saw in Regent Street a courier on a lo-pro........

brakeless.......

and a freewheel :shock:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Extract from CTC publication:

"Most sorts of cycle are required to have at least two efficient braking systems, by which the front wheel (or wheels) can be braked independently of the rear wheel (or wheels). This means that if there are two wheels at the front or rear, the relevant system must act on the pair. It also means that the combined operation of front and rear brakes from one lever is not allowed except as an extra braking system: additional to the two independent front and rear braking systems required by this law. "

" A lot of words are nevertheless devoted to wheels that cannot rotate independently of the pedals (i.e. no freewheel), the effect of which is that a fixed wheel drive counts as a braking system – on that wheel or wheels."

"I've already noted that fixed wheel counts as a brake. Taking that a stage further: if one wheel is not only incapable of rotating independently of the pedals, but the pedals are fixed directly to it without any intervening chain or gears, the cycle does not have to be equipped with any other braking system at all. This is obviously designed to allow various antique machines such as penny-farthings to be exercised on the highway without adding incongruous modern accessories!"
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain
    "This morning I saw in Regent Street a courier on a lo-pro........

brakeless.......

and a freewheel "

Probably won't see him again...
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    1 for style 2 for safety.
    meagain wrote:

brakeless.......

and a freewheel "

Agreed! What a an idiot.
  • peejay78
    meagain wrote:

brakeless.......

and a freewheel "

i don't think this is true.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    We keep seeing them and they can't breed THAT fast so they must survive.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • meagain
    Can but hope then.
    d.j.
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    thanks one & all. thats confirmed what i thought. I simply want my bike to stay within the law

Apologies peejay78, no offence meant with the Londoner comment.
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • peejay78
    i'm not really a londoner, i just live in london. i woudl compare riding brakeless to standing in front of an express train. sooner or later, no matter how quick you are, you're going to get nailed.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    peejay78 wrote:
    meagain wrote:

brakeless.......

and a freewheel "

i don't think this is true.

It is possible, but stupid as you can get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg
  • nobrakes
    nobrakes Posts: 53
    What about all the coaster braked (bendix) bikes that exist? Most of these are rear-only, especially in kids' bikes. Would they get sighted for a violation while riding off to school?

Although my name is 'nobrakes', I don't advocate riding on the street this way. I got the moniker from descending without using brakes. All my bikes have at least a front brake, and nowadays, I use them. (My car has no brakes, however. ha, ha!).

In my area, I'm always amused at the people I see riding around on the roads on the cheaper department store mt bikes. The majority I see are being used by what I'd guess to be used strictly for transportation by non-driving folks. All seem to have their front cantis or V brakes' cables left open, rendering their brakes useless. I guess no brakes at all is better than fixing a rubbing brakepad for them.
  • meagain
    "What about all the coaster braked (bendix) bikes that exist? Most of these are rear-only, especially in kids' bikes. Would they get sighted for a violation while riding off to school?"

Altho' the Usage Regulations regarding brakes do I think vary according to wheel size, few bikes in UK beyond say for 5 year olds are sold without two brakes and coaster brakes are pretty rare here anyway.
    d.j.