Newnham park endurance event

Justinjured
Justinjured Posts: 142
edited May 2008 in XC and Enduro
Has anyone done the Newnham park endurance event before?

Am toying with the idea about doing the 50k category this May, but it depends on the course!

If the circuit is going to be similar as a typical 3.5 mile soggy bottoms event, but with twice as many laps, then it is out of the question. (I did SB3 last year and 4 soggy laps, about 25k, was just about enough for me!)

If the laps however are a little less intense and dryer then it may be worth thinking about.

Cheers

Comments

• Lhance
    Lhance Posts: 88
    done last two events , its a brilliant non race atmosphere . check web site link.
    Its not loops like soggy b , you go up onto the moor .
    I think I read it's a 50K loop.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    That event looks cool, would love to do the 50, but only getting my bike end of April having never ridden XC I think I would be mad to do it...

Are there any other similar events that I could enter later in the year?
  • Lhance
    you will never know till you try it . its a non competetive day out.
  • Lhance
    Newnham90 only six weeks away, places selling fast . the world cup was was ridden in this valley , you would be daft to miss this.
    Its non competitive. worth doing just to hear 500 spuds being clipped into at the start!
  • Lhance
    Have you booked for newnham?
  • Justinjured
    Just done. really looking forward to it now!

Better get 50k fit!!
  • landranger
    landranger Posts: 220
    Hi,
    The GF and I would love to do this next year.
    We aren't great skillers by any stretch of the imagination but would be joining to see how we are getting on fitness and skills wise.

For newbs, which I feel we still will be next year :oops: is this a bridge too far or can any skill set enter and be in with a chance of finishing?

It sounds just the type of thing I can use to get the GF into getting more adventerous in our outings.
    Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.
  • Lhance
    dont wait for next year , it might never come ! Newnham 90 as missed the last 2 years.
    this is a non race atmosphere, and its not that technical , you can always walk tech bits.
    you wont ever be to far from the car, the furthist is up onto the moor but then its all down hill back. Its worth entering , just to hear 500 spd clipping in at the start.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Lee

Are you doing the 90k?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Lhance
    yes the full distance , check the news on the site , its looking like 81/ 85k with only 5 on road. Its going to be fantastic!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'm down to do the 90k, but depending on how I feel I may stop at 50k.

Did the 100 mile on road Dartmoor classic yesterday. I'm guessing that 90k off road must be fairly comparable to 100 miles on road?

If so, I think I'll stick to the 50K!
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Milese

I 've done the Newnham 90 before and I'd say that on the 'effort scale' it's about the same as the Dartmoor Classic.

Do the 90, after you're performance in the Classic it'l be a doddle - 'use the force'.
  • yogi
    Some pics of the Newnham 90 now available on the YOGi Cycling website gallery pages.
  • Justinjured
    What a great event!

soggy conditions made it quite difficult in some places, but considering the weather over the last few days down here, could have been much worse!
  • milese
    Yeah was good. I only did the 50k, which I had planned as I'm busy with exams at the moment and shouldn't really spend the extra time riding, and then be even more exhausted afterwards!

It was hard work! Much, much harder per mile than the Dartmoor classic.

How many did the 90k? Not many I doubt!

It was very muddy which made it pretty difficult!

Some great descents and views though.
  • Justinjured
    Did the 50 as well.
    It seemed that the first 30k went on for quite a while whilst the final 20 was much easier.

Hope very much there will be one next year, but just wish there was one more often!!
  • milese
    Get out with the Yogi group mate if you've lacking new routes and riding buddies.

They're a friendly bunch, welcome new members and go on a lot of routes that I'd never have found. Save yourself £28 a ride then as well!

What about the Twentyfour12. Anyone fancy that?!

I was thinking about doing the 12 hour event solo, but that might just be a bit ridiculous for someone of my physique!
  • Justinjured
    Been out with them 3 times now, and actually did the route around the cadover quarry and back down to newnham just a few weeks ago on the May mtb fun ride.

12 hrs solo that sounds painful!!
  • milese
    Cool, well probably come across each other at some stage then (if we haven't already!).

Yeah, when I said I was thinking about it, I don't think I actually meant it.
  • yogi
    What about the Twentyfour12. Anyone fancy that?!

Could always put in a YOGi team.
    They're a friendly bunch, welcome new members and go on a lot of routes that I'd never have found. Save yourself £28 a ride then as well!

I actually think our our routes are better. If you havn't tried us, and I know you 2 lads have, join us.

There are currently at least 2 Mountain Bike rides each week.

Tuesday Evenings meeting 6.30pm B&Q Car Park, Marsh Mills, Plymouth
    Lots of fast technical riding. 2 hours duration.

Thursday Evenings meeting 7pm
    Moorland ride finishing at a pub. You will need to get in touch if you want to join this