Pumping

Dizzy the Egg
Dizzy the Egg Posts: 153
edited March 2008 in XC and Enduro
At the risk of sounding daft what does pumping the bike mean?

I've been watching some instruction DVD's, mainly for berms and table tops and when they say "at this point pump the bike" I'm not too sure what it means.

Anyone know (probably everyone except me!)?

Cheers

Comments

• pumping the bike is using potential energy ie your weight dropping down on the bike pushing it forward
  • As you crest the top of a small lump or rolling type jump (say 1-2 feet high) roll over the lump/jump and get ready as your rear wheel is about to roll down the other side, just as it does use your body weight to push down through your legs on the pedals to force the rear wheel to roll faster down the backside of the lump/jump. your bike will pick up speed as it does and allow you to not have to pedal, if your following a mate try this and see how much you close up on him/her without having to pedal!!

Also works if you pre-jump just before the lump/jump and land very slightly rear wheel first on the backside of it, even better as more force is directed to the rear wheel, and works on flat to decent type drops in elevation of around the same height.

Hope this helps (Kinda hard to explain in writing)?
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • tere are quite a few vid on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... arch_type=
    Dreaming of a Flowing, Downhill, Singletrack, Double jumping, Hardtail paradise