Southern Sportive

huwy
huwy Posts: 91
Doing my first Southern Sportive this year, running a 34/50 compact what is the best ratio for the route out back normally run an 11-23 ?

Bit of forward planning....

Comments

• sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    If you're used to running around the Hampshire Downs, huwy, then you'll be able to go with your usual rig.

There's a couple of steepish bits on the SS route - maybe up to about 14%, but no worse than say Watership Down.

I've ridden it no problems in the last couple of years for a SIlver band finish with a 39-27 bottom gear. So that would be about a 34-23.5.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    *Pedant alert*

I take issue with Harting Down being 14%, cos it feels bloody vertical to me.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I don't like Harting either. Harting kicks up at the top so too hard too soon = :oops:

I did it last year on a 39x25 and found Harting probably the toughest climb of the ride.
    Paul
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    cheers for the thoughts have decided to go 12-25 wiggle box arrived today, got options then !
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    pjm-84 wrote:
    I don't like Harting either. Harting kicks up at the top so too hard too soon = :oops:

I did it last year on a 39x25 and found Harting probably the toughest climb of the ride.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    I always want a counter on each bend, as from half way I'm always thinking 'this has got to be the last one'. It never is. :lol:
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    A friend and I have just entered, we did it last year on mountain bikes with slicks and loved it. We've now both got road bikes and I can't wait; last year was terrific!