Going compact, but which?

driverpm
driverpm Posts: 65
edited February 2008 in Workshop
currently have standard Ultegra double but want options of compact which I can then swap in/out as desired. choice is between Ultegra Compact FC6650 and FC-R700 as LBS can source them for the same price and fit them free (while teaching me how to do it). are there any real diffference apart from aesthetics?
cheers :)
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable

Comments

• SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    much the same

R700 series is sort of Ultegra/DA half way house ....

fitted a lot as OEM to DA equipped bikes...

i have a R700 & it seems fine altho i am not a big fan of compacts . this is 1st one i have had after 25 years of cycling ( i dont like dropping 16t - 50/34 ) as im a die hard 42t or 39t man !

decided my old knees needed it tho ....found you need to dbl change a lot....which i s a pain in the 'toupe'
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    The 700 might be a teeny bit tricker but nothing to make a difference. The 700 has a different outer ring. Other than that they look very similar.

I've got a 700 but the dark grey does look nice, so go for the one you like the look of.

the Shimano website has some good pics.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    There will be little difference between makes and models (you could also use the Campag ultra torkue, for instance) but as SDP says, the ratio between rings is a big factor. You might prefer a 50 / 36 or a 48 / 34 to the large jump between 50/34, but not many manufactures give this as an option. This is the reason I prefer a triple as the jump between rings is only 10 teeth and I can cruise in the 42 most of the time with a decent chain line.