Changeing Stem Hight, What Effects Will It Have.

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited February 2008 in MTB general
I have 2 10mm spacers under my stem at the moment but i was wondering what sort of effect/changes i should expect in steering, control, balance(track standing), ability to lift the front wheel to get up on walls,manual etc.. if i was to drop the stem high so i had a 10mm space under it and 1 on top or if the stem had no spacers under it. I know this will very depending on bike geo, stem length/rise and handlebars but i'm after a rough estimate of what would happen.

Comments

• Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Try it and see what happens, only takes 2 mins to do, its personal preference at the end of the day.

In all honesty I have no idea what'll happen but still worth trying
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • The only real noticeable effect I've come across is how it affects your back.

Lowering the stem can concentrate your weight slightly over the front,but us mere mortals don't/won't really notice it.

No doubt someone is sputtering right now reading this,and the tech weenies will go to great pains to tell me otherwise..
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • I swapped from two spacers under the stem, which has a rise of about 20deg to spacers over and the stem flipped to give a negative rise.

I like it, throws you over onto the bars a lot more and I find climbing a lot easier. Have to be more careful on tricky downhills, you need to hang off the saddle a bit more.

Horses for courses, try a few combinations and see what suits you and your riding style, whats the worst that can happen............??
    Currently riding - Lapierre Zesty 314, as yet without any bling

New toy - Diamondback Mojito, SS rigid 29er

RIP 2007 Cube Acid - Stolen by pikeys