PIKE 454 Dual Air - oil leak from floodgate area

strak
strak Posts: 439
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive noticed this a few times now and assume it was like this from new (only 4 rides on it)

noticeable amount leaking from lockout/ floogate adjusters.
Recommended action - strip and tighen? or is this normal when new?
cheers

Comments

• skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    Return it. I've got a customer that's had the same problem, and Rockshox replaced it FOC.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • strak
    would I return it through CRC or straight to Rockshox?

I've cut the steerer & ridden it 4 times...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to the point of purchase so CRC. so get in contact with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smitty
    smitty Posts: 125
    have you stored the bike upside down if you have just push down on it 20 or so times and it should be ok sometimes you get a little oil seeping back if the forks are upside down for any length of time if not its back to the shop with them
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    It doesn't matter how you,ve stored it if it's got a damaged MoCo cart, it'll still leak.
    Warranty job.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    how could you tell if your MoCo is faulty, mine had a bit round the seal when it arrived, but seems fine now...
  • I had this problem but my forks were out of waranty. it is caused by the red plastic part of the flood gate assembly coming lose form the top cap.

It is easy to sort out with an allen key and a socket wrench. Remove the flood gate assembly, put the allen key through the holes in the plastic part of the flood gate to get a purchase on it then tighten up with the socket wrench ,( the thread is opposite to normal).

This only happened to mine after a year and a half considering how new the forks are i would get it sorted on warranty.
  • strak
    well i stored up upside down overnight with a drip tray, and not a drip! so it must only be on cycling (riding( the fork it forces a little past the seal. It is only a small amount im not sure its worth getting it sent back could be hard work.

Would it go back to CRC or Madison (i guess) under warranty?
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    wont be madison, it would be fisher but you should send em back to CRC