If you were to do just one strength training exercise....

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
...... to improve your power on the bike, what would it be?

Leg extensions?
Leg press?
Hamstring curls?
Other?

Comments

• There can be only one...

squats!
  • jon208 wrote:

Leg extensions?
    Leg press?
    Hamstring curls?
    Other?

For what?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    There can be only one...

squats!

You got that right.

Dennis Noward
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Depends where:

Gym: Squats if on the machine at the gym

Home: Single leg stepups (with barbell on shoulders)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • skims
    skims Posts: 7
    squats at the gym or home dont use the smith machine in the gym dont like it
  • jon208

For what?

Climbing up big b*stard hills! :wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I don't have gym membership anymore so it's one-legged squats in front of the tv :) Great for balance as well as strength
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jon208 wrote:

For what?

Climbing up big b*stard hills! :wink:

In that case, big b*stard hill repeats :shock:
  • jon208
    :lol:
  • Hi there.

Mental strength!

Do a variety of 2 x 20mins, 4 x 5mins and 8 x 2mins intervals.

All intervals done at about 90% of the effort that you could maintain for each interval if you were to just do it once. Obviously the shorter intervals should be done harder than the longer ones... You'll need the mental strength to get through them!

Weight training won't improve yor power on the bike - structured training will.

Cheers, Andy
  • dennisn
    Hi there.

Mental strength!

All intervals done at about 90% of the effort that you could maintain for each interval if you were to just do it once. Obviously the shorter intervals should be done harder than the longer ones... You'll need the mental strength to get through them!

Cheers, Andy

Sometime back I saw pictures of George Hincapie doing squats. Also have read in interviews where various pro riders have said they do squats. I'm going to be a smart
    a#s and say "Wow, all these guys must be losers". They don't have a clue.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:
    Hi there.

Mental strength!

Cheers, Andy

Sometime back I saw pictures of George Hincapie doing squats. Also have read in interviews where various pro riders have said they do squats. I'm going to be a smart

Dennis Noward

Hi Dennis.

George who? Is that the bloke who keeps falling off on the way to Roubaix?

Maybe he should have worked more on his bike handling/maintenance rather than pumping iron to impress the chicks*.

Cheers, Andy

* Oh, and you too ;)
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Hi there.

Mental strength!

Cheers, Andy

Dennis Noward

Hi Dennis.

George who? Is that the bloke who keeps falling off on the way to Roubaix?

Maybe he should have worked more on his bike handling/maintenance rather than pumping iron to impress the chicks*.

Cheers, Andy

* Oh, and you too ;)

Let's see now, I've seen George's name on the Paris-Roubaix start - finish list many
    times. Don't seem to recall seeing yours. Or maybe it was a misprint?? That must be it.
    I'll look for you this year.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn wrote:

Let's see now, I've seen George's name on the Paris-Roubaix start - finish list many
    times. Don't seem to recall seeing yours. Or maybe it was a misprint?? That must be it.
    I'll look for you this year.

Dennis Noward

Jeez Dennis, sometimes your strings are just too easy to pull!

Cheers, Andy
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    getting back to the OP.

Squats are good - clean and press much much better for power development.

Also good for those of us who like to impress the chicks with some upper body tone.
  • jon208
    Yeah, coming from a rowing backgound I guess weights are less important for the bike, sound like leg presses will be the best use of time though.

As for mental strength, probably OK there - anyone who has done a 2K ergo test will know what I'm on about. Certainly helps you to divorce yourself from physical pain!

Cheers all.

Jon
  • jon208 wrote:
    Yeah, coming from a rowing backgound I guess weights are less important for the bike, sound like leg presses will be the best use of time though.

As for mental strength, probably OK there - anyone who has done a 2K ergo test will know what I'm on about. Certainly helps you to divorce yourself from physical pain!

Cheers all.

Jon

Hi there.

Just what I was thinking. If you've got 10 spare to train in a week, then you'll get the most benefit by spending 10 hours riding your bike. If however you've got say 20+ hours to spend training then you might benefit from supplementing your riding with lifting some plates.

Mental strength - all you need to remember is HTFU!

Cheers, Andy
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

Hi there.

Just what I was thinking. If you've got 10 spare to train in a week, then you'll get the most benefit by spending 10 hours riding your bike. If however you've got say 20+ hours to spend training then you might benefit from supplementing your riding with lifting some plates.

Mental strength - all you need to remember is HTFU!

Cheers, Andy

Just in case anyone's wondering what Andy's acronym means:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

:D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • I was wondeing -ta.

A colleague at work left his mobile at home. He had to go home to get it, said he felt vulnerable without it. HTFU indeed!

I'm always impressed by the calf muscles on pros, mine never seem to develop to any extent. Will working oj the gyms donkey calf machine help me on the bike?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    jon208 wrote:

Leg extensions?
    Leg press?
    Hamstring curls?
    Other?
    Are you trying to improve sustainable power for endurance events or sprinting power?
  • jon208
    Sustainable power/endurance
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    jon208 wrote:
    Sustainable power/endurance
    Cool. Strength is not the most significant determinant when it comes to climbing or riding your bike fast. What you want is improved cardiovascular and metabolic fitness. Andrew has listed some workout which will train the above. Do a bit of reading and then decide whether you believe the leg press exercises or aerobic/anaerobic efforts on your bike will help you climb faster. The choice is yours :D
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern
    http://cyclingforums.com/t126133.html
  • Muscle endurance for shoulders and neck to prevent aches and pains and maintain low profile posture on bike.

Chin ups with palms facing away holding bar.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

v simple exercise which requires no special equipment and can be done in an ad break

Improves posture and core stability and looks suspiciously like a TT position to me.

Try doing this for more than 90secs :twisted:
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

v simple exercise which requires no special equipment and can be done in an ad break

Improves posture and core stability and looks suspiciously like a TT position to me.

Try doing this for more than 90secs :twisted:

Ahh the sh1tting dog as we call it in the gym.... Watch someone trying to hold it and when they start shaking you'll see why :D
  • Mog Uk wrote:
    Ahh the sh1tting dog as we call it in the gym.... Watch someone trying to hold it and when they start shaking you'll see why :D

yep - when you're up to at least 90secs try doing it one legged :shock:
    It is not as easy as you might think it is and can be a powerful tool if done correctly.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Ahh yes, been there and done that. One leg stretched out and to the side, hold for 30secs and then repeat with the other leg..... Killer..... :twisted:
  • yar _ I'm still only on 2 x 45 secs with 30 secs rest inbetween and it is killing me. How you do it for 90 secs or more I've no idea :shock: