Pedals and Cleats

MACRSI
MACRSI Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Greetings All,

Just after some reassurance or advice before it all goes horribly wrong.
I have just bought some clip in pedals and some shoes with cleats however I am not convinced that I could get the shoe out of the pedal in an emergancy.

I notice there are a couple of screws on the Shimano pedals !! Do I need to adjust the screws or will the pedals lossen after time !!

I just have visions of me crashing and still being connected to the bike.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    they will loosen over time and the cleats will wear aswell.. try at home clipping in and out a number of times to loosen. and yes the screws will adjust the tension
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    From personal experience, you will still crash and be connected to the bike for the first few times at least :wink::lol:

Sarah
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    and you'll get teh moment when you forget to unclip and just topple over when you're at a standstill, usually when lots of people are watching.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Ah yes, I like to consider myself quite an expert at that :D

My favourite was trying to remember to unclip with my right (uphill) foot instead of the left (downhill) - stopping, unclipping my right foot but leaning left.... :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Use the screws to set the tension to make it easier to pull your foot out, but don't set them too loose as you'll find your foot releasing whilst pedalling

Like the others have said takes time to get your brain to respond quick enough to unclip, will become second nature after a while and a few falls