Stuck HT2 crankarm help please!!

scotttomo
scotttomo Posts: 531
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Last night in work while cleaning, regreasing and what not my pride and joy i tried to remove my cranks (hollowtech 2) to get to the chainring bolts coz of any annoying creak. So i undid the preload plastic cap thing :oops: . I loosened one allen screw and then tried the other but it wouldn't budge so after spraying with penetrant and what not still couldn't get it out :evil: . Now the head is rounded and i can't get the bolt out and i'm stuck about what to do. Cant get a hacksaw to the top of the bolt to create a groove without mangling my crankarm! Any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Scott
"If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you should haved done the other back up to take some of the load off and undo each a little bit at a time.

have fun. tighten the other one up smack a torx bit into the rounded and undo and relace and then start undoing each one a bit at a time.

Or LBS time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Its funny though coz i've done this loads of times before and been ok :oops: . Will try that then nick cheers will let you know how i get on might need some more suggestions :oops: . Nice one nick :D
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

• Just to let you know i got the bugger out :twisted: . Didn't have a big enough torx bit to hand last night so ended up boshing the crank arm off (carefully) with a rubber hammer resulting in a nasty knuckle scrape on the chainrings :cry: , then hacksawed the bolt in half ending up in half of it falling out,then drilled the opposite side on a pillar drill in work :lol: . Had to turn down a bolt head to fit too,which was fun as i dont know how to use a lathe :oops: . I'll be honest i did have fun though :lol: