Cross Country Tyres

2»

Comments

• Shoaib
    Shoaib Posts: 2
    I normally ride on the road but have just splashed out on a Cannondale F5. I don't know what tyres it came with but when I went out in mud/ grass/ tree roots I was sliding around all over the place and came off a couple of times. Later, along a canal path, had a thorn puncture.

I have been reading the comments here and thinking of getting some Panaracer Fire XC.

Do people here spend the extra on Kevlar bead vs steel bead? Is the weight saving worth it? And does it make easier or harder to get the tyres of the rim (to fix the inevitable puncture)?

Thanks,
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    edited March 2008
    For general use i would say fire xc pro's with intense xc c3's for the dryer conditions, never really had a need for mud tyres but i would choose schwalbe black shark mud as they have good reviews.

Conti vapous are very puncture prone especially with thorns, they did grip well though but the intense tyres seem to use a far better rubber.

I have been digging through the shed and found my old wildgripper pro sprint-s tyres, i think that's the name, green with a silica compund semi slick.

They are meant to be incredibly good in the dry but wear very fast, i can't wait to slap the things on and give them some abuse. :D

Racing ralphs are meant to be very good but wear even faster from what ive heard
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Shoaib - Fire XC Pros are probably the most popular XC tyre of the last decade, and they're a pretty good tyre - but most enthusiastic riders have moved on to more modern tyres now.

I'm not going to recommend a particularly briliant all-round tyre (mainly because I haven't found one myself yet) - but a few popular all-round XC options are the Panaracer Cinder (an evolution of the Fire XC), Continental Speed King, Schwalbe Racing Ralph or Nobby Nic and Bontrager Jones.

More riders are moving from 2.1 width tyres to 2.3 or 2.4 for general trail riding now - but I'd suggest sticking to the thinner tyres until you start to ride more technical/rocky terrain.

The steel vs folding issue is entirely down to how much of a weight-watcher you are/how deep your pockets are.

Shop carefully and you can pick up good steel-beaded tyres for less than £10, while folding ones are generally £20-£30 even on eBay.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Conti Mountain Kings are also a good tyre.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Yep, did 30km across the Yorkshire Dales in snow, slush, mud and gravel yesterday and my new MK 2.4s were brilliant.

Really impressed.
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    I personally use nobby nics for all but the worst gloop, then the panaracer Fire mud pro's get a run out. I used Razer XC's last year which left me punctured every ride even with sealant! Maxxis High rollers are good and grippy, they do a wide selection of sizes/weights too. If you don't do too much fireroad or tarmac then they're good, not as fast as the Nic's though.

T.
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    I'm looking to replace my Bonty Mud X's. Great grip but a bit too prone to punctures and rips in the side walls for the Chilterns.

Still looking for a fast rolling tyre but something that will handle reasonably in the wet and muddy conditions we've got right now. Was considering Conti Speedkings 2.1, or Mountain Kings 2.2 Protection models because of the reinforced sidewalls.

The other consideration is the fact that with the above only the Mountain King would have the new Black Chilli compound which I think is softer.

Anyone rate either of the above and am I going to notice much difference with the compound?

PS don't think the supersonic versions will be up to the job.
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Nobby Nic on the front and Bulldog on the back atm.
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    As mentioned in my previous post I've used conti speed kings but the supersonic version they are a great tyre very fast and light with fantastic grip for me good for deep mud and dryness as well. A word of warning though they are thin on the sidewalls. I've not had a problem with this issue but I know others that have.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • 2008 epic
    2008 epic Posts: 20
    edited April 2008
    After one of the stickiest courses ever in Reading my Trailraker 1.95 really struggled to clear the mud and the Epic was totally jammed!

Was thinking of trying 1.5 Black Sharks, anyone got any experience of these?
  • MattW87
    MattW87 Posts: 60
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the back for me at the moment, great results in the mud and clear really well to stop them clogging up!
    2008 Cube LTD Team - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1921374/
    2004 Dawes Tamarak DX
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Mr bump wrote:
    Currently got these fitted, Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"; would like to keep the width about the same if possiable.

Probably the worst tyres Ive ever run. I had no confidence in them.

Ive upgraded to Conti mountain kings. Very impressed.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.