Rockhopper vs Stumpjumper

2»

Comments

• glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    scottalej wrote:
    Would be amazed if it's anything near that weight. My 2006 19" standard apart from 160mm LX discs, Bontrager xxx lite carbon risers and stem, light weight saddle and lighter wheels weighs in at 26lb on the Alpine Digital scale without pedals.
    These bikes aren't as light as you'd think. My 2007 Orange Clockwork weighs in at 11/2 lb more with no lightweight parts.

I really couldn't give a stuff what it weighs, the way that it rides, and allows me to attack single track is all I care about, and there's no doubt it's awesome at that.
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • glen4 wrote:
    scottalej wrote:
    Would be amazed if it's anything near that weight. My 2006 19" standard apart from 160mm LX discs, Bontrager xxx lite carbon risers and stem, light weight saddle and lighter wheels weighs in at 26lb on the Alpine Digital scale without pedals.
    These bikes aren't as light as you'd think. My 2007 Orange Clockwork weighs in at 11/2 lb more with no lightweight parts.

I really couldn't give a stuff what it weighs, the way that it rides, and allows me to attack single track is all I care about, and there's no doubt it's awesome at that.

He bought the wrong bike and is a bit peed off about it so has a dig at any opportunity.
    Yes, the Stumpy is very agile/nervous but key into it properly and it flys. Well nearly. :wink:
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • glen4
    Matteeboy wrote:
    glen4 wrote:
    scottalej wrote:

He bought the wrong bike and is a bit peed off about it so has a dig at any opportunity.
    Yes, the Stumpy is very agile/nervous but key into it properly and it flys. Well nearly. :wink:

I think you're probably right, Mattee, brother has ridden mine a fair bit, and a couple of weeks ago, bought the same model SJ HT Expert, 08 model tho', that's how impressed he was.
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Yes I bought the wrong bike. I was after a lightweight xc hardtail which would be fast and fun to ride.
    What I got was a bike unsuitable for any rough ground ('I also find there's not enough ground clearance resulting it the pedals clobbering anything bigger than a pebble.') and with a very 'dead' frame with none of the usual fast response of a good aluminium bike.
    What I should have bought was a Trek 8500, Malt 2 or 4, or a GT Zaskar. Never mind I bought it less than a year old for £600 so probably worth that for the parts.
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Just bought 2008 P7 frame (Orange fan? Me!)
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
    Marin Mount Vision 2005, for sale
    Stumpy HT 2006, shite, sold
    Kona Lava Dome fully rigid
  • Bought for £600 less than a year ago - I see. You bought a broken bike. Oops.

Now calm down, stop regurgitating what one negative test said (singletrack I think), flog the bike and leave us happy Stumpjumpers alone.

This is my second - I had the first for ten years. The ride on both is very different but very fun. Having ridden all sorts of XC bikes over the years, my Stumpy is my favourite, which is why I bought the thing.
    Never clobbered a pedal (check the ground clearance measurements - there's plenty unless you are using an eight foot long crank), find the frame as lively as any XC racer should be and find my decent MTBer mates just cannot keep up.

I've tried the Zaskar and it feels much the same as the Stumpy, only silver in colour so not as cool 8) Joking :lol:

• glen4
    scottalej wrote:
    Yes I bought the wrong bike. I was after a lightweight xc hardtail which would be fast and fun to ride.

Exactly what I got, god the '06 must've been a right dog :lol::lol:
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • just picked up a 06 stumpjumper.(used to ride a scott ht ).and i must agree with mat,the bike climbs like a mountain goat(a lot better than the rider).very quick accelleration,and as for the downhill handling i have fitted riser bars and it has a good set of fox forks on the front, which is a lot better than the flat bars that came with it.
  • Did some serious drops on mine yesterday (to the point of really bricking it) - flat bars, platform pedals. Great fun!

Slightly embarrassingly though, my wife is more gutsy than me - she did some MAD drops on her Rockhopper! She's a proper loon on downhills. :shock: :lol: