Avids broke after standing for a month

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Are there any special precautions to observe when leaving a bike sitting for a month or two?

Took the steed out yesterday hoping for a ride, running over some basic checks and noticed the left hand lever (back brake) would only move about 0.5cm towards the handlebar, like the brake pads were already engaged without any pressure.

The wheel at the back is dragging on the pads :(

I've not had chance to have a closer inspection yet, but its almost like my pistons have pushed themselves out :madman:

I hope they arn't goosed already - only 6 months old

Capoz

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how was the bike stored? re adjust the lever and go and use, things tend to settle down again after some use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    I'm a bit Rafa Benitez with my bikes because I tend to rotate which one I commute on to keep them all ticking over between offroad rides (I don't get chance to ride every weekend but commute daily on my bikes)

As Nick says, it depends on storage conditions and if the bike was muddy/dirty before you stopped using it for a period of time. Mine are in a cold garage which does let a bit of water in occasionally so I keep an eye on my chains/mechs to keep them lubed.

I've never had probs with brakes though (and I've got Avid Juicy 7s on 2 bikes and pre-mono Hope Minis on my hardtail) but it's generally not a good idea to leave bikes standing for months on end without using them. Time to get the WD40 out to free up mechs and put a bit on your brake lever and relube your chain with proper chainlube otherwise.
    Dave S