NEW Specialized Enduro SL Expert and build issues!

the1978dude
the1978dude Posts: 4
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Hello,

Sunday didn't get off to a good start when i embarked the first journey on my brand spanking new Enduro SL Expert. After 200 yards I felt a clunking at the front when applying the brake. Stopped, inspected and it was the two pinch stanchion allen bolts supporting the upper fork areas - completely loose - obviously not tightened at the shop!

Tightened up to with gentle torque as I know these areas are delicate from past bike experiences and all seemed okay.

Carried on with the ride and was pleasantly impressed with the bike performance.

Anyway, during further riding I was conscious of a slight creaking noise emanating from the bars and what felt like a slight bit of play. Stopped to check up but every bolt was tight and no signs of trouble from what I could tell. Continued to ride on but took it easy just in case.

Anyway, I've had a more accurate look at the bike this evening and the problem actually lies with the top end stanchion clamps. Applying pressure to the handlebars causes them to creak/move slightly. I've even verified the torque setting is correct for the allen bolts - it's only 5-6Nm which ain't a lot!

I called my mate who had bought the same bike but hasn't used his yet and his machine appears to have the same issues.

What's the score here, is this a fatal flaw in the design of this bike? - Can't believe Specialized would release a mass produced bike with this kind issue.

Does anyone have these issues on their Enduro - can't see it being uncommon as two I know have this issue?

I'm pretty disappointed being £2000 lighter and a bike that doesn't appear to have the quality. :cry:

Comment appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well the manual does recomend that the bike be checked before each ride.

But i would say back to the shop for a once over as it is not right.

Friday bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lol, Friday afternoon bikes.

Two bikes purchased a week apart with what looks to be the same issue.

Like I say, doesn't bode well for the future having such issues now..... is it going to last?
  • lol, Friday afternoon bikes.

Two bikes purchased a week apart with what looks to be the same issue.

Like I say, doesn't bode well for the future having such issues now..... is it going to last?

Sorry to hear that!

I seriously looked at the the 08 £1700 Enduro....fantastic looking bike. I was so nervous about the in house fork/shock set up!

I went for a Pitch PRO, spent a bit of money and put Juicy 7's, X9 Shifters, 08 XT Crankset and some Super Tacky High Rollers on...... The bike is amzing you can really hammer it and so glad i went for one over an Enduro!

I just hope you can get it sorted. Specialized really did shoot them selves last year with the 07 Enduro..... Why they didnt Put Lyrics or Pikes on with a Fox Rear Shock god knows...if they had I would of bought one.

Good Luck
  • nicklouse wrote:

Friday bikes.

You are right there, but us being blokes and that do any of us seriously check every bolt before each ride? I don't.

Really it should of come out of the shop ready to ride.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stevebrock wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Friday bikes.

You are right there, but us being blokes and that do any of us seriously check every bolt before each ride? I don't.

Really it should of come out of the shop ready to ride.

as someone who wants to finish a ride without any issues, yes bikes are checked before each ride.

But as a new bike i would expect things to be tightened correctly but would also expect that somethings will bed in and need retightening.

But in this case the bike(s) need to be returned for sorting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lets see what happens. I've had a discussion with a technician this morning who says the bolts should be beefed up to a little more, which I must add had already done myself to test if it made any difference - but didn't.

I really hope they can sort this out as I do like the bike.