too fast?

Random Vince
Random Vince Posts: 11,374
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
biking into unit today, got to the roundabout part way down the hill (central six roundabout if anyone knows coventry) took the right hand lane and ended up drifting round it, slightly scary (nothing compared to how scared i'll be if millie find's out)

was i going too fast perhaps?

any advice on controlling a slide?

i did get it back, just a meter or two to the left of where i'd planned on being
My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday

Comments

• was i going too fast perhaps?
    D'you think? :wink:
    any advice on controlling a slide?

i did get it back, just a meter or two to the left of where i'd planned on being
    Usually with stuff like that it's over before you realise it's happening - you've either got the reflexes or you haven't. Sounds like you controlled it just fine to me, you stayed on the bike!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    was i going too fast perhaps?
    Could be a patch of diesel on the road - you can slide on that stuff even if you are well within a "normal approach speed" to a roundabout. Don't touch your brakes and try to stay relaxed if you are sliding is the only sensible advice I can offer in this case.

Sliding on a roadbike always puts the fear of God into me, yet it happens quite frequently (esp at this time of year) on an mtb ride. Riding and sliding offroad at least means when it happens on road you are less likely to panic I guess.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    If the back wheel slides out you just naturally correct it by steering into the slide rather like a motorcycle speedway rider. If the front wheel slides you just naturally pick yourself up off the ground (hopefully) and get back on your bike :)

As Bronzie mentioned diesel fuel is lethal even on an otherwise dry road. It's given me a few anxious moments in the past on both motor and pedal cycles.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Random Vince
    don't think it was diesel, just a damp road and me going in at about 20mph to a roundabout offset slightly not in my favour

its one i drift on in the dry due to the tightness and camber of the road, ah well,

that will be all

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Come on Dave, you're an MTBer, sliding should be second nature!
  • Random Vince
    not overly cofident when clipped to the bike in heavy traffic

i will admit to sliding the mountain bike round a lot tho

that will be all

• Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Is that the roundabout before the one for the station?
    If so, it's got a deceiving angle when coming down the hill. I had a couple of scary moments on that roundabout, what with impatient shoppers, sometimes greasy surfaces & just having to go further left than I'd thought I had to to get round...
    I took to using Spencer Avenue when I was coming home from Kenilworth...
  • Random Vince
    thats the roundabout,

i'd come up spencer avenue to avoid the junction 7 roundabout due to the new lane markings having me slide out a bit the other day.

quite like pinging round the central 6 one tho, perhaps i need to just re-figure how i take the 'bout.

that will be all

• Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    It's been a while since I've cycled it, but as I posted above, I think that the line you need to take is quite different from the one that looks right. As I remember, you have to go harder left as you pass the give way line than you feel you should & you'll be fine.
    Not a fun roundabout in heavy traffic but.