Lightweight MTB Wheels for Road

Schoey
Schoey Posts: 64
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Can anyone recommend a good lightweight set of wheels please. Lighter the better really..

I'm gonna use this for commuting and swap over to the knobblies at the weekend.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Stans rims (ZTR olymics) will be really really light, use sapim CX-ray spokes and tune or ariel(sp) I cannot find what the hubs are actually called.

Seriously light...

Seriously expensive...
  • a more reasonable route would be a set of XTR M975 hubs laced to Mavic Open pro 700s....

The XTR M975 would be a fair bit lighter but a lot cheaper than *droooollll* tune hubs

They (Tune) make some top kit though........ but as above - truly expensive!

I am in a similar predicament and have been speaking with my LBS about getting set of the above made up for road riding
  • ride_whenever
    Hang on, do you want these 26" or roadie size?

If 26" then stans, don't know jack about road rims though.

As for commuting tyres, cannot go wrong with specialized fatboy's
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    If it's just for road commuiting, MTB hubs laced to road rims is the best bet - assuming you have disc brakes.

If you can, use the same hubs as your MTB wheels so you know your discs and cassette will be in exactly the same place when you swap wheels otherwise you may need to tweak your calipers and gear cable adjuster at each swap.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Schoey
    Schoey Posts: 64
    Splasher wrote:
    If it's just for road commuiting, MTB hubs laced to road rims is the best bet - assuming you have disc brakes.

If you can, use the same hubs as your MTB wheels so you know your discs and cassette will be in exactly the same place when you swap wheels otherwise you may need to tweak your calipers and gear cable adjuster at each swap.
    Now theres a thought!

Would that work? 700c wheel in a mtb... what about clearance?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With a narrow low profile tyre, it comes up the same as a MTB tyre on MTB rim.
  • Splasher
    With something like a 25 or 28mm road tyre there's loads of clearance.

Here's my hardtail fitted with 700c rims

488249240_bb3ccf47b1.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • ride_whenever
    splasher, is that a hope seatclamp?

Also how do you avoid pushing your pistons out without a front disc...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its the new Hope 'inviso' rotor. After floating, and vented, they thought they'd go the whole hog and get rid of it completely.
  • Splasher
    splasher, is that a hope seatclamp?

Also how do you avoid pushing your pistons out without a front disc...

Yes it's a Hope seatclamp but only because the frame doesn't come with one as standard.

And should you really be offering advice on a forum with such a basic understanding of engineering: you avoid pushing out the pistons by avoiding pulling the lever!

Nah, photo was originally taken because someone a while ago didn't believe 700c wheels would fit in an MTB frame so I pinched them of another bike to demonstrate.