recommendations for 25c tyres

alansmithy
alansmithy Posts: 80
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Got a pair of Continental Gatorskins nearing the end of their useful life and they've not been bad. Only 1 puncture in the last 1600 miles, though I have had a few scares in the wet (and so have others on these tyres, judging by this forum). So - should I try anything else? I use my bike for long distance commuting (with the odd pannier every now and then) as well as the odd sportive. Previous discussions here have suggested the Michelin Krylions, but it seems these have been discontinued in the wider variety. Any other recommendations for 25c tyres?

Comments

• I've always got on well with Panaracer Tourguards. Grippy, pretty fast, and only one puncture in a year of riding on them...
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I use 25mm Conti 4 season for 3 seasons. Seem ok...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    another vote for the 4 seasons
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use Specialized All Conditons Pro's for commuting. No punctures in 4000 miles, good grip, kevlar bead, dual compound rubber, I swear by them!
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    conti 4 season..
  • 4 seasons again - grippier than the Gator skins
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Krylions aren't discontinued, they're just out of stock as Michelin are concentrating production on producing the new Pro Race 3's. Krylions are better handling and most robust that GP4 Seasons in my experience.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicksun
    nicksun Posts: 290
    I've been using the tyres below for winter use and commuting etc. and have had zero problems. They are hard wearing, puncture resistant and very cheap.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9625.html

Hope this helps.

Nicksun.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Another paw in the air here for Panaracer Pasela - the 700x25c are very fast and seem resistant to p*nct^res. I've only had one on my current set, in thousands of Km.
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    fortessa tricomp Fast strong good grip wet and dry Often on offer for £14 a bargin
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Recently switched from reflective sidewall GP4000 25c to GP4 seasons (25c).
    Significantly more grip.
    A semi scientific test proved the point too....
    two near identical weight front wheels - One with GP4000 one with GP4 Season - Pulled from the 3PM position across a smooth glass sheet.
    Pull required to start and continue moving the GP4 Season was noticably higher.
    Both tyres inflated to 90psi for the test.

I'm keen to try a pair of Panaracers though, as the roads I ride can be greasy/have a film of cow poo/grit, which would suggest to me that a tread pattern would actually help to cut through it.
  • mascott
    mascott Posts: 190
    another one for 4seasons....
  • Thanks for all the suggestions folks - looks like I'm heading for some 4 seasons, now that I know how to get conti tyres off a Vento rim...[thumb skin grafts = the only way].

By the way, JW, I noticed you've switched over the wheels on your Frat - did your Ventos wear out or did you fancy a change? Interested to know how much mileage to expect to get out of them...
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I've only ever used Specialized Roubaix tyres (they came with my spesh roubaix - go figure!) so can't compare with any others but have been very happy with these and have yet to have a single p*ncture in 1 1/2 years. I'm told they are a bit slow rolling though? Are the conti 4 seasons quicker?
  • JWSurrey
    alansmithy wrote:
    ...now that I know how to get conti tyres off a Vento rim...[thumb skin grafts = the only way]....I noticed you've switched over the wheels on your Frat - did your Ventos wear out or did you fancy a change? Interested to know how much mileage to expect to get out of them...

Hi Alan,
    How's that wrist doing? I'm afraid I've been very non motivated this week - I managed 90 minutes on the turbo, skipped the Ashdown run - mostly due to working the weekend, and have failed to get out there today :(

Get yourself a VAR tool from BikePlus or SJS cycles (both mail order) - they make tyre removal and refit so much easier, and it's light enough to carry too.

Anyhow, back the question in hand: The Ventos were awesome wheels (may they rest in pieces) - They lasted about 1,500 miles of relatively hard all seasons lumpy back-road riding with a light pannier load, including the Tour of Wessex day 1 and a couple of sponsored rides involving rough tracks.
    The front could have done another 1,500 of more - hardly looks worn at all. Lateral and radial truth - perfect.
    Rear - The rim was quite badly scoured, so I decided to change it before it exploded, at the advice of the LBS.
    Radial truth - perfect. Lateral - approx. 2-4mm play.
    GP4000 25c for the lifetime of the wheels.
    Changing from the bog standard Tektro blocks to softer Swissstops helped preserve them longer and improve braking performance. I found the Tektro blocks picked up rim material too easily, then helped scour them to pieces!

Almost all of my riding is gritty hill riding on narrow lanes, so I'm almost 50% of the time descending on the rear brake to avoid head-on in to cars. This really didn't help their life - If it had been flat commuting, they would have lasted a lot longer.

Am thinking about upgrading the calipers to either Tektro Quartz or Shimano this year - not that the standard ones (now upgraded on 08 models) were bad - just that given the length of the descents, my hands could do with a break!

The new handbuilts are great. Not as good as the Condor Mavic/Ultegras I have on the road bike, but very nice, and better than the Ventos They have the benefit of rim wear markers, are the same weight as the Mavic Open Pro., however don't stop quite so well and feel fractionally more flexy in the build that I have. Much less crashy than Ventos though.

P.S: I noticed you've been to Corfe Castle - Did you go on the Frat., and if you did, did you manage a complete loop of the bay? We always used to get stuck on a nasty bit of fast road to get in to Wareham. Not sure if there is a better way.
  • JWSurrey
    I just spoke with a freeride friend of mine this afternoon, who said it was too wet and cold to go out, so I thought I'd post this picture of the conditions I've ridden the GP4 seasons (and Ventos) in.
    If you look carefully, you'll see that's not water droplets - It's ice frozen to the spokes, forks, cable outers (bar tape, lights and anything made of metal)! You can just make out the grit/salt on the pavement below.
    Extreme riding kicks ass!

IMG_1977.jpg
  • Thanks JW

The wrist healed nicely in the end, just frustrating, after waiting so long for the bike, to have to wait another 5 weeks for it to get better. Lots of sitting on it in the hallway and I’ve made up for lost time since.

I bought a Crank Brothers SpeedLever tool last week – what better way to spend your free time than to test you can get your tyres on and off (curiously disapproving glances from Mrs Smithy)…? All works nicely now though.

I didn’t bring the bike to Corfe, unfortunately, steam train was the main mode of transport. Great area, will have to get the bike down there another time.

I’ve signed up for Highclere Castle and the New Forest audax though (hence the question about the tyres- they will need replacing in advance), though I think the Ventos will now be fine (I changed the pads over fairly early on the Tektros for Shimano ones and they seem to have worn more consistenly) for 2008.

A
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Michelin krylion carbons are excellent in either 23 or 25c sizes. Speed Levers are ok but they will scratch your rims if you let them.
  • Thanks Giant Man.

Does anyboy know anywhere that has the 25c Krylions in stock?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    alansmithy wrote:
    Thanks Giant Man.

Does anyboy know anywhere that has the 25c Krylions in stock?

no-one at the moment it would seem. Supposedly Michelin have ceased their production temporarily to produce more PR3s
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Which has been the case for the last few months, something I am surprised at Michelin being the size of the company it is.

I was scouting around for ages until I settled for the 23s.
  • JWSurrey
    alansmithy wrote:
    .....Highclere Castle ....(hence the question about the tyres- they will need replacing in advance)....
    Apologies for the thread hijack - Alan, I'll hopefully see you at Highclere then, if I get my fitness back up in time! (I assume you're talking about the Victor Ludorum). It's a great ride, but ridiculously fast pace. Lose the guards and the carrier for the silly season.
    Have only signed up for the Tour of Wessex 50, so far.
    I'll take the "race" bike and GP4000-S in 23c for the Highclere run.