Cornwall MTB club starting soon

DH legend
DH legend Posts: 27
edited January 2008 in MTB rides
Well i have had some good interest about starting up a mtb club around Truro area.

Due to much more interest than i thought there was going to be i'm going to crack down to work and start planing out the first meet sheet, this will include the first group of rides set and will be given to all that attend the first ride. Also the rides will be posted on the net just prior to the first ride.

I'm going to put a lot of time and money into starting this club and i'm sure we can all make it work.

The first ride will be in about two weeks - time/date posted soon.

This is the rough outline of the club...
The rides will be set prior to meeting up each week - this means a planned or known route will be decided upon by one of the members (there will hopefully be a different member setting routes each week). The rides will take about 2hours not much more and not much less. This is the target time.
The rides will be at various locations within 15/20 miles of Truro, although most will prob be within a few miles of Truro.
The ride day will be every sunday STARTING AT 11AM so turn up a bit early to kit up etc.
Ride will be finishing around 1pm.
The rides will be as much off road as poss we will have to cross roads and go down some lanes etc.Yes it will be muddy in places!
After the rides we will go to the pub to have a beer and chips or have a bbq depending on where we are etc.
Bike????MTB best ,hard tail ,full sus or if you can ride for two hours on a DH bike go for it. No road bikes though, unfortunately they won't be suitable for the routes!!!!!
Helmet and gloves must be worn - body armour if you want to wear it.
Any age welcome, male or female.
As already mentioned the rides will be set by different club members each week this will be sorted at a meet soon, so start thinking up where you might like to set your ride.

The main aim of the club will be to meet new people, have a brill bike ride each week, get fitter and learn to ride beter.

Things to look forward to when the club gets properly established: club t shirts , charity events , trips up country to 24hour events, DH events and XC events , discount card ,night rides ,finding new routes ,and more...

I hope this has helped and i will post the first ride ever in the next few days so keep an eye out, tell your friends and start thinking of ideas for the new club.

Looking forward to seeing lots of you soon!

Comments

• warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    i didnt know about this but i would be really up for that. will eep an eye out here on starting. if you need some help drop me a message, i'm in newquay at the moment till may.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Can I suggest that if you want to start a club, you start with a club meeting (maybe a pint in the eve).

I (for one) would like to discuss your thoughts.

1. 11am is late for me, I would prefer early am or mid pm.
    2. Why local to Truro & not just explore different areas of Cornwall?
    3. Possibly have some long rides occasionally.
    4. Maybe once a month (or every other month) we could go up to Plymouth & meet the Yogi group????
    5. Night rides???

Will you be out riding this weekend????
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    DH - suits me down to the ground!

As long as the surf is pants (which is most of the time) I will be there - live in Malpas, just outside Truro so easy for me to get in to town.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Lhance
    Lhance Posts: 88
    Hi great idea. the internet and forums are a great way forward to arange meets .Ill be there. By using a forum with one person at the helm would aviod the usual club politics that are cr***p

hopefully you may get two rides put forward for a day ,starting at different times!
    and different lengths!

On a down note by calling this a club could involve insurance issues

NEWNHAM 90 .COM is back this year :D Check out website ,and also the twentyfour12 is at Newnham . lucky us.
    I am riding offroad to poldice on saturday 26.01.08 anyone want to come? all welcome. meet outside M&S bike racks lemon quay. I leave dead on 0900 .
  • Matteeboy
    Do any of you write that free Truro mtb guide?

Some pretty good routes (6 in total) in it.

• Lhance
    I have not seen this mtb guide .where can I get one . I tried to help a bloke called paul (from helston)to start a club 4years ago. But he never turned up , we had 7 rides and it died, sadly. I gave him all my routes and suspected he wanted to publish them, I wonder?
    With the internet this could work this time .
    DH legend - as I said before I hate club politics, but I will help you make this work if you need any help!
  • Matteeboy
    LHance - it's just a few printed sheets. I got mine from Clive Mitchell.

• Lhance
    thanks matteeboy its probly James' work then . I'll pop in !
    see you on the rides.
  • Sounds great can't wait....
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    I'd be up for some of that lets sort out a meet down the pub or just organise a ride for next weekend.
  • warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    I'd be up for some of that lets sort out a meet down the pub or just organise a ride for next weekend.

Seconded
  • Matteeboy
    LHance - In think three of us might join you tomorrow.
    Me, my wife and her friend. My wife is on a red Rockhopper with blond hair so no trying to ull her anyone :lol:

Where are you likely to go? We have to be off earlyish afternoon.

All reasonably fit and biased towards XC riding.

• Lhance
    hi thats great Iam a hard tail xc rider . we can be back to suit you .
  • Lhance
    Matteeboy you've missed a great xc ride on a fantastic morning :D Southerly wind . no surf :!:
  • Matteeboy
    Lhance wrote:
    Matteeboy you've missed a great xc ride on a fantastic morning :D Southerly wind . no surf :!:

Errrmm - we got to M&S for 9.00 (well 9.05) but no one was there so we did our own ride!
    Had a great surf today too :D

Will try again soon.

• Lhance
    sorry I left 0901 I 'd been waiting to meet you since 0845 and it was cold . glad you had a ride .Lovely morning.
    See you all on 10 02 08 just before 11.00am departure
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    4. Maybe once a month (or every other month) we could go up to Plymouth & meet the Yogi group????

You'd be more than welcome to come along with us whenever you feel like it. Best of luck with your project. Internet/email is definitely the way forward.
  • Matteeboy
    Lhance wrote:
    sorry I left 0901 I 'd been waiting to meet you since 0845 and it was cold . glad you had a ride .Lovely morning.
    See you all on 10 02 08 just before 11.00am departure

Blimey - that's what I call punctual! We did really rush to get there but had two girls in tow.
    Next time.