PLANET X MODEL B WHEELSET - ANYONE GOT THEM?

dttlincs
dttlincs Posts: 384
edited March 2009 in Workshop
At 1570g a pair seem good value for money at £150 including scewers.
Anyone got some?
Alternatively what can come close to this in weight for the price?
Still thinking!

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    if that is a real weight then there is nothing that can come close to them for that price!!

I have just bought the Campag Eurus wheelset for £369 and it weighed in at a real (on my kitchen scales) 1530g - without skewers!
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    gkerr4 wrote:
    if that is a real weight then there is nothing that can come close to them for that price!!

I have just bought the Campag Eurus wheelset for £369 and it weighed in at a real (on my kitchen scales) 1530g - without skewers!

Sorry I think I may have caused a little confusion.
    The price includes the skewers. The quoted weight does not as far as I can see on the site.
    I had read the thread on your wheels. I do like those but I am only thinking of a replacement set for my present bike as the back wheel is regularly breaking spokes now. These being Alex rims on the bike from new with about 6000 miles on them.
    Still thinking!
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    I've just picked up my Planet X ultegra pro carbon from Halfords today. It comes with the planet x model c wheelset. To put you in th eoicture they have no name or markings on the rim and have planet x on the hubs. If I get time tomorrow I'll de tyre them and weigh them as i'm interested in their weight. My plan is to replace them so if you're just looking for a cheap replacemant for Alex they're prob ok but haven't ridden them as yet.
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • mrjim
    mrjim Posts: 22
    I bought a set of the model c wheels a week or two after they came out. I was going to go for the b set but since I’m mainly using them for training the extra spokes that come with the C's were better suited. Apart from the spoke count there is no other difference between the two sets. The hubs and rims are the same products.

I weighed my wheels when they arrived and if I remember correctly I THINK the weights being quoted are minus the skewers. However the skewers aren’t too heavy and I don’t suppose it would matter too much since they are not adding to the rotational weight of the wheel.
  • Simmo,

How did Halfords get in contact with you when your bike arrived? From what I was told just after Christmas when I questioned how long it was going to take, the payment to Planet-x was probably made at the same time as yours. I find it hard to believe how long this whole process has taken, I first inquired at work about the scheme in July and here I am still without the bike, 6 months later.

Is it worth the wait though? :D

FCN : 4
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I just replaced my ageing Alex rims with the Quest Como wheels. Not very light admittedly but at 60 quid the pair I'm not complaining. They are nice wheels too.
  • simmo3801
    Hi Ben

Strangely Halfords didn't get in touch with me about MY bike at all. A colleague at work was also wanting to order one but doesn't have email so I emailed the build sheet for him about 2 weeks ago. I got an email yesterday addressed to him confirming his bike had been ordered. I didn't remember receiving an email after ordering mine but I had phoned Halfords at the time to check that they received the order which they had. I phoned the cycle2work number and asked where my email was and if there was any update. Was told that Planet X were really slow to invoice and that the next payment from halfords to them would be the end of the month. I pointed out that I had ordered the bike in Dec so she checked and then told me that they had received the invoice from Planet X so I should hear this week and if hadn't heard anything to phone the store on Fri to see if the bike was there. She assured me they had my contact number and would email me what I should of had when the order was placed. I decided to phone yesterday just in case and the bike was there. Glad I did now as who knows how long I would have been waiting. I would phone them if I were you. The expected delivery date for my colleagues bike is shown as "no later than 08/02/08" 08700 660511

And yes it was worth the wait :D
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • I can never understand why wheel manufacturers quote wheel weights without skewers. (It's obviously to make them appear lighter). You can't exactly use them without skewers can you? I imagine the argument would be that you can replace skewers with lighter ones.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Campagnolo Veloce 07 hubs 60 pounds 465g
    2*Open Pro 32 spokes 66 pounds 850g
    64*Dt Competition spokes 18 pounds 382g

Total ukp: 144
    Total weight: 1697

So in weight terms, the Planet X's don't seem too bad. But 120g is not a lot of weight. Also, since those wheels have aero rims, the weight is probably mostly on the rims. Most aero rims weigh in at 500g plus, and the rim is the worst place on a wheel to have the weight. [unless they are using Kinlin Niobium rims, which weigh around 450g]
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    acorn_user wrote:
    the rim is the worst place on a wheel to have the weight.
    Only if you believe the myth about wheel inertia being important.
  • Simmo,

On your advice I rang the Halfords business number but they were closed. I then rang the shop just in case they had received the bike and they had it :D
    I drove straight over and picked it up. I've ridden it up and down my street several times this evening, its been years since I rode a road bike and I loved it, it was just so smooth and light. I'm not used to bending over so far but I suppose I'll get used to it. If the weather's good I'll go out tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

FCN : 4
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Ok, I'll edit it...

"While it is often thought that the rim is worst place to carry extra weight on a wheel, due to possible additional inertia, others have argued strongly that no such effect exists"

I back this up daily by riding on Rodi Typhoon rims. All 750g of them. If you loose weight of the hub, you generally get either an alloy freehub (leads to wear if you don't have Campag -> deeper spline) or super light, small bearings. If you want great bearings, you should just buy Campag, Shimano or Phil Wood hubs and lose the weight elsewhere.
  • Wheel inertia is not a myth but a completely calculatable engineering principal (rotational inertia).

If 2 objects have the same mass but one has more mass furhter from the center of rotation (ie the rim) then this object will be harder to accelerate (rotationaly) than the other.

This only affects acceleration (and deceleration) and does not affect steady state riding or climbing, although climbing could be slightly affected due to speed changes with gradient and sudden attacks etc...

Mostly inertia is important for crit. racing where there is lots of acclereation out of corners. For most of us it doesn't really matter if one rim is slightly heavier but the overall wheel is the same weight.
  • simmo3801
    Ben you're very welcome. Hope you're as happy as I am!!
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Wheel inertia is not a myth but a completely calculatable engineering principal (rotational inertia).
    Sure - it's just a myth that it's important, since even in crit racing the power used on acceleration is far less than the power used against wind resistance. Arguably for climbing a heavy rim and light hub is better, since it will help to smooth out the variations in speed due to pedalling (though the effect is small enough to be negligible). Even if acceleration was an important issue, we're talking about at most 200g difference in rim weight, so the difference in wheel inertia makes at most 0.25% difference to acceleration to a typical rider weighing 80kg with bike. That is the sort of difference which is totally undetectable by the rider, despite placebo effect claims of how you can feel the lighter wheels spin up faster.
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    Impressed by the price and weight - anyone using these have more comments on longevity etc (especially as the thread is around a year old, so there must be more experience on there now)!

I thought Reynolds Solitude's looked good for weight/price - but they are twice the price and only a similar weight. I must lose my Alex 450 rims on Tiagra/Deore hubs! Could this be the way to go....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have them (as you know :lol: ). Very impressed. They came did well in the C+ budget wheel review (2nd or Editors choice, I think). The winners were £300 which were the only lighter ones on test. Bikerader mini review here. CAn't help with longevity, had them since September, done about 1200 miles, no problem whatsoever.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Have a search and you'll find some other threads about the aluminium freehub being chewed-up if you use Shimano 10sp cassettes

<edit - I've saved you the search !>
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12608440
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12591497
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14804326