Roadie tests in WMB - what the f*!K?

2»

Comments

• Just wear a fake beard (if needed) and go everywhere fixed gear....
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Heh, interseting to see how much fuss a few pages caused! I liked the article, but would of prefered a few more bikes in there.... there's two from on-one for a start (pompino and kaffenback) that fit perfectly well with the others tested. I got fed up commuting on a MTB and bought the Kaffenback precisely for the reasons given in the article, tougher than a "normal" roady and faster than a MTB on the road.
    Daily commute consists of dirt tracks and road, and the facility to fit full length mudguards is appreciated. But wizz off my rack and guards, and it turns from commuter to feck abouter......... great down the quiet (potholed) lanes and as someone stated, not adverse to a quick shortcut down a bridleway...
    My best bike? Dunno.... but certainly the one I ride most!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Having found most of my proper off road local tracks made almost unridable by the unpassable nature of wet Hertfodshire clay,I found the green laning bike test very relevant,so much so my mtb has been gathering dust in the garage for the last few weeks,and I have instead been out on my old steel 531 road bike.

I`ve got to like it so much,it has even received a few upgraded bits.......

Only problem now is,buying spares and maintaining 2 bikes instead of 1!

Was seriosuly considering selling the mtb and the road biekt o buy a Tri Croos having read the test.

Anyway I consider myself a cyclist,first so any type of bike is welcome,in the mag.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Ive been MTBing for nearly 15 years,I love it its my main cycling kick.But over the last year or so ive ridden a road bike as well(Specialized Allez).Now im not converting just widening my cycling experience a bit.Ive rode with clubs on group rides etc and found it all very good fun.
    So Im one to agree that this article was not out of context,especially in these dark wet muddy winter months, I for one dont want to go into hibernation when the trails are water and mud logged.Id still rather be turning my legs,yes like most I hate the constant cleaning of winter crap but thats where a road bike or similar comes in,rest your MTB for a week and ride something else.Cut down on the Maintenance budget and still get a ride in.

:D
  • fozzybear
    fozzybear Posts: 17,082
    ignorance is bliss hu ratty :)
  • dirtjump
    dirtjump Posts: 1,289
    jam1e wrote:

MBUK do reviews of dirt bikes etc which dont really (technically) count as MTB's (steady, you all know thats true!) -

You are fully entitled to your own opinion here but I 'am affraid I don't agree with the above statement. What "technically" doesn't count on a jump bike? It usually has a 26" wheel, it is ridden largely in the off road capacity and shares most its technology with any other mtb. Last time I checked there wasn't a "what jump bike" mag to see the latest bit of 4x / dirt jumping kit so where do people like myself (who incidentally also ride DH & XC) learn about the latest bikes / kit?

Try and remember, things like Krankworx and other slopestyle comps (which largely feature these alien jump bikes) are doing a pretty good job raising the profile of MTB to a new audience. For the first time in its history MTB's are starting to loose their kooky day glow lycra image (steady, you all know its true!!) and appeal to a lot more people. We all ride bikes at the end of the day and surely all sports grow and evolve with the times, why not just go with the flow?
    <center>U to the SMBC</center>
    <center>Trendy pictures</center>
    <center>Meet the family

Everything I have ever said on here gets ignored
    </center>
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    3 pages before the 1st bite! you were all doing so well!

Right, my logic is as follows (and this is my opinion - not right or wrong or the sacred truth or owt):

Bike designed to be ridden up and down mtns and similar terrain - mtn bike.
    Bike designed to be ridden down mtns at a ridiculous speed - mtn bike.
    Bike designed to be jumped over mtn type freeride jumps and obstacles - mtn bike.

Bike designed to jump manmade ramps etc which could be in a carpark/street etc - summat else bike.

Not saying it aint good, or that i aint jealous and wish i had both balls and skill to do it but to me it aint a mtn bike. the fact that its got the same wheels an some other stuff is irrelevent - if you read F1 weekly for example and they showed pimped nova's because they also have 4 wheels, an exhaust pipe and attract car enthusiasts I imagine most people would be a bit put out. And just cos there aren't (yet) enough participants to keep a national mag afloat doesn't mean it needs to be in a mtn bike mag. Mtn biking is an offshoot of roadieing in a similar fashion but now they've split almost completely with cross participation but 2 seperate identities (apart from cyclocoss - the fencesitters of the bike world :lol: )

However - MBUK have made the decision to keep it in - everyone who buys the mag more than once knows this so if they object that much they can buy summat else. I've bought MBUK for years (they still owe me a MintSauce mug from about 1996) and just skip those bits - problem solved.

But yeah, Cheers for sortin the fashion thing though - now people dont chuck rocks at us for scaring the livestock with our dayglo goodness!