Garmin 205 - Cycle computer

cyclinggirl
cyclinggirl Posts: 196
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
What are these like :?: Am really fancying one, seen one one ebay but Halfords have them in the sale at aound £89

Getting my new mountain bike tommorrow, can't wait :lol:

Comments

• wop
    wop Posts: 41
    How do you want to use it?

They are cool for on road work and comparing laps etc. the virtual partner function is useful for fitness.

The edge 205/305 won't give you an Ordnance Survey map grid reference, so it kind of rules it out if you want to use it offroad with a map!

Otherwise they are a bit of an upmarket bike computer, i got one for £73 on ebay a while back.
  • what bike are you getting?
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    If you are looking at it for training, I would look at the 305, as it also has the heart monitor.

The advantage of the Forerunner is that you can use it for different sports.

Mapping wise, it logs where you have been and can follow the route again. You can download your route and view it on mapping software.

My LBS pricematched Halfords - so I bought it there as I know I will get all the backup & help I want from them. Also one of the guys has one, so was able to tell me more about it.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • chadmuffin wrote:
    what bike are you getting?

It's a Shockwave from Halfords, ( don't slag it off, lol.) it's going to replace my old mountain bike which I have had for the last 10 years, getting a bit dated now, lol.
    Wanted to treat myself as most of my 32 years have not involved any exercise at all, until discovering cycling.
  • wop wrote:
    How do you want to use it?

They are cool for on road work and comparing laps etc. the virtual partner function is useful for fitness.

The edge 205/305 won't give you an Ordnance Survey map grid reference, so it kind of rules it out if you want to use it offroad with a map!

Otherwise they are a bit of an upmarket bike computer, i got one for £73 on ebay a while back.

I like the idea of the lap thing and the remembering of the route you have done, just for comparisons sake and to make the cycling just that little bit more interesting.
    I like gadgets :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I like the idea of the lap thing and the remembering of the route you have done, just for comparisons sake and to make the cycling just that little bit more interesting.

I would have thought the lap thing would have been better for road cycling rather than mountain biking.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I like the idea of the lap thing and the remembering of the route you have done, just for comparisons sake and to make the cycling just that little bit more interesting.

I would have thought the lap thing would have been better for road cycling rather than mountain biking.

That's all I do is road cycling but on a mountain bike.
  • redddraggon

What's the point in that?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • That's all I do is road cycling but on a mountain bike.

Hmmmmmmmmm because I don't like road bikes, don't think it is that unusual. :shock:
  • redddraggon
    Hmmmmmmmmm because I don't like road bikes, don't think it is that unusual. :shock:

You must have got an ill fitting bike then - road bikes are extremely comfortable - more comfortable than MTBs on the road if you have one with the correct geometry and size for yourself. More hand positions on the bars for a start.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Hmmmmmmmmm because I don't like road bikes, don't think it is that unusual. :shock:

You must have got an ill fitting bike then - road bikes are extremely comfortable - more comfortable than MTBs on the road if you have one with the correct geometry and size for yourself. More hand positions on the bars for a start.

Lol, no I didn't, I just prefer a mountain bike, it's just a matter of preference.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    A shockwave will be completely unsuitable for road biking. I'd give it 50 miles before something disasterious happens to the bike. Get something along the lines of a carrera subway, seriously. Much better for what you are planning to do.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057

I'll back you up on that. Both my gf and I had about 1000 road miles on our mountain bikes before we decided to take them offroad the first time :oops: Can't get too excited about road riding now though as off-raod is soo much more fun :D
  • Only just got my Edge (for xmas) and reviewed routes in MemoryMap, not tried navigating with it. The Edge can be used for navigating though and there's a good guide on the web somewhere. Let me know if you want the link.

Real PITA it doesn't show national grid ref though.

Rafe
  • nikrad
    nikrad Posts: 28
    No offense but if i were you i would spend your ninety pounds ON A BETTER BIKE !
    It makes no sense to put an ninety pounds computer on a cheapo bike like the shockwave .
    Have a word with halfords and im sure they would happily change the bike , as the guys on the forum have mention you wont go to wrong with a carrea bike . I would then just put a cheaper cycling computer on . :D
  • nikrad wrote:
    No offense but if i were you i would spend your ninety pounds ON A BETTER BIKE !
    It makes no sense to put an ninety pounds computer on a cheapo bike like the shockwave .
    Have a word with halfords and im sure they would happily change the bike , as the guys on the forum have mention you wont go to wrong with a carrea bike . I would then just put a cheaper cycling computer on . :D

To late, got the bike, knew you guys would slate it but it can't be that bad, been riding a cheapo ( as you like to call them ) bike for the last year and done 1500 miles without any probs. Anyway thanks for the tips.
  • Schmako wrote:
    A shockwave will be completely unsuitable for road biking. I'd give it 50 miles before something disasterious happens to the bike. Get something along the lines of a carrera subway, seriously. Much better for what you are planning to do.

I will post back after 50 miles with the news, good or bad :roll:
  • redddraggon
    Well I think that the bike should last more 50miles on the road, maybe it wouldn't last long off it.

The problem with Halfords bikes is that they are often incorrectly assembled - helping cause early failures. My first bike was from Halfords - I had to keep taking it back to sort out the things they'd done wrong - apart from that (and with a few componentry changes) it's a good bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889

Works very well off road as well - the accuracy is stunning and will even show which side of a trail you were riding! I've got a few standard off-road routes I do around where I live ranging from about 8 miles to 20 miles. It is good to use the 305 to compare previous laps and see how you are improving - the most interesting thing has been seeing how my heart rate and speed have improved over the past 6 months over the exact same routes. Also you can race against your previous times.

Obviously when one just goes exploring it is not so usefull, however, you can still see where you've been and if you find another good route, you can then save this to do again.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    I agree with CJW - The 305 is an awesome gadget - I never leave home without it (when biking obviously - Im not weird!)

I use my 305 on normal road loops when I train, and also use it off-road when I go trail riding. I have even used it on the London to Brighton - and then played back my data on GoogleEarth! - Wicked.

The best thing is definitly racing against yourself as this pushes you harder each time, great for fitness. Although the coolest element is tracking your every move out and about and loading up to Motionbased.com.

Not really used it for navigation purposes yet, but I do have MemoryMap and will give it a go at uploading a route.

Theres nothing better than emailing your mates with your killer ride you can PROVE you did! (We are all trying to get fitter and are quite competitive)

"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • It's a Shockwave from Halfords, ( don't slag it off, lol.) it's going to replace my old mountain bike which I have had for the last 10 years, getting a bit dated now, lol.
    Wanted to treat myself as most of my 32 years have not involved any exercise at all, until discovering cycling.[/quote]

:oops: :oops: I'd never slag off another forum members machine :wink: