Newbie from Rotherham, South Yorkshire on a mission!

IanR1981
IanR1981 Posts: 9
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I recently was VERY unfit and over 16 stone in weight so I made it a priority to loose 50 pounds and hit my ideal weight of 13 stone. I didn't like the idea of not being able to take part in activities with my two young boys!

I have so far lost 20 pounds so I decided to join up on here and have a chat with other like-minded people while I work off the remaining 30 pounds.

The reason for this is because my reward for losing 50 pounds is a mountain bike worth up to £500. This was agreed by the other half as an incentive for me sticking to my diet and exercise plan. I have my eye on a 2008 Focus Fat Boy as we speak but who knows when the time comes to purchase!

I am 26 years old and currently living in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. I lived in York all my life then moved to Hull for four years with my other half before we decided to be daring and move to a town where we don't know anybody! After living here for three years we STILL don't know anybody but we get by!

Hopefully I haven't sent everybody to sleep and I hope to chat with you guys in future. I like to talk about pretty much anything!

Ian.
Only 30 lbs to loose and I will be the proud owner of a Focus Fat Boy!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I lived in Sheffield for 15 years, Rotherham for 3, York for 6 now back to Sheff! Which part of Roth are you from? Some good rising spots close by.
  • Hi mate you don't like that far from me. I live 5 minutes from the centre of Rotherham near Clifton park. Where do you ride? Is there a club in the area?
  • supersonic
    Bit closer to the centre than I lived, I was out at Thorpe Hesley/Wentorth area. Now just over the border in Chapeltown, which is very close to Wharncliffe, one of the best riding spots in the country.

Dont know of any clubs, but there is a few forum groups I know of that do regular reides.
  • What made you move to York then back? Had a look at your bike photos - you have some nice rides!

Do you go out on your bike a lot around Yorkshire?
  • supersonic
    I went to uni when I was 18, stayed in York til I was 24 as I got a job as a bike mechanic. Moved back to Sheff though due to ill health. Get out when I can, the riding in S Yorks is very good, esp where I am. S Yorks is the most wooded county in the UK!

Glad you like the weapons!
  • That's an interesting statistic - it makes me even more determined to loose the extra weight now!

Casting your eye over the Focus Fat Boy would you say it is a worthly contender for my cash?

http://www.focusbikesuk.com/focus-hardtail-mountain-bikes/mountain_bike_fat_boy.php

Ian.
  • supersonic
    It is well specced, good for the riding you suggest. The fork maybe the weakest point, especially compared to the Toras some at this price offer. But overall, its up there with the best at this price.
  • Hey, well done on losing 20 pounds already. About 2 years ago I lost 4 stone and have found cycling regularly has kept it off and under control. Keep it going, it's the best thing you will ever do.
  • Thanks mate, you did really well loosing 4 stone!

It's hard but no I have a goal it isn't so bad. I know I will be on my bike all the time when I get it which like you say will help me keep my weight down.
  • hi ian

hows the weight loss going?

i live and ride in rotherham out bramely and wickersley way, some good trails out here from my door step.

we have started to link a trail up round heringthorpe and listerdale woods. if ya interested give me a shout and we can go out and ride sometime.
  • Hi riot rider, I know this an old post but I live at Woodlaithes and dont know the area too well. Do you know of any good loops locally??
  • im from sheffield too, maybe we should get a forum rider get together soon so the seasoned vets can show us rookies around?
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    There's also plenty of decent riding to be had in the Peaks especially around Derwent and the Edale/Hope Valleys. Bit of a trek from Rotherham as it's the other end of Sheffield but well worth it on sunny days such as this one (some cracking views to be had)
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Bikedevil wrote:
    There's also plenty of decent riding to be had in the Peaks especially around Derwent and the Edale/Hope Valleys. Bit of a trek from Rotherham as it's the other end of Sheffield but well worth it on sunny days such as this one (some cracking views to be had)

May be a bit of a trek but well worth it. I drive over there from Doncaster regularly in my attempt to get fit and lose a bit of bulk. Up there early Sunday morning and attempted my first 'uphill' route for a number of years instead of sticking to the flatter rides (circling the water may be nearly 15 miles but it's not what you'd call steep) and BOY did I realise just how unfit I am!!!!!!! I used to be up there 3 times a week and covering 20 miles each time but that was 5 years ago and I was at least 3 stone lighter. I have entered the Dark Peak Challenge for the British Heart Foundation which starts at Ladybower and rides out to Glossop, up Longdendale to Langsett and back to Ladybower, 42 miles in total and 17 of it offroad. I have 10 weeks to train for it and I know it's gonna be hard but knowing I have to complete it provides my motivation for this summer.

Off out on the road bike this morning before it starts raining.......
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • hey ian

yes i have a few loops around starting from bramely, i'm on the broadlands estate off flash lane.

let me know if ya want a ride and we'll sort summit out.

Gavin
  • Hi Gavin, me and my neighbour who live on Woodlaithes would be interested, we only know of a loop around Ravenfield/Thrybergh way or if you could give us a pointer where you ride that would be great.

Steve
  • hi steve

places to ride - have a search around thurcroft old pit head, listerdale woods, herringthorp
    woods, pinch mill pond, the gorse in wickersley. all can be link one way or another.

i'm gunna get out on sat if your up for it, i'll gladly show you what i've found. would like to see what you have found also.

lets not forget that wharncliffe woods is only 25mins drive away. thats gotta be worth a mention.

all the best Gavin
  • Yeah I was in Wharncliffe last week and there i s now some great XC singletrack which is well worth the visit, altough as I am short of time due to having a young family its just sometimes much quicker to ride from home. Dont think I can get Saturday as I work but can do most evenings and most Sundays.
  • yeah it is nice if you have some ok riding on your door step. i'm good for most evenings, sundays i work until 1230hr then i'm free. so if and when you feel like a ride just give me a shout.
    Gavin
  • tommywmb
    tommywmb Posts: 148
    Gayvin,

I'm up for riding Saturday, though I got football at 3pm.

Let me know the crack.
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    I realise that this is an old thread, but just got myself a Kona Cinder Cone on the cycle to work scheme. I live in Thorpe Hesley and looking for anyone who's up for going for a spin, especially Sundays, can't do Saturdays though, maybe evenings could be an idea as well, give me a shout please.

Mark
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    Sparked - i live in Tankersley, not too far away. I trail locally around the TPT and sometimes have an evening blast around HG woods if your interested (weather permitting).

give me a Pm and i`ll organise something

Robbo
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • I realise this is an old post, but I'm looking to get out more local because petrol is extortionate!! I live in Rotherham but I'm from Doncaster originally I'm looking to learn some good routes locally that are mainly off road as i hate riding on the roads. I have set up a group recently on Facebook called south yorkshire spartans mountainbike club its an open group and we are looking to get as many members as possible to arrange group rides and share knowledge etc. I do manage to get out in the peaks and i go to sherwood pines from time to time too! but some good local knowledge would be appreciated.
    cheers,

Gavin.