decent spec?

chrisinnorfolk
chrisinnorfolk Posts: 12
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
I have the chance to purchase a second hand marin mountain pine, which i would use for a 7 mile commute, of approx 2.5mile on road and 4.5mile on fast, open and well estabilshed countryside paths and trails.

Could anybody kindly advise me to the quality and suitability of the component parts that make up this bike, thanks in advance

3 - 4 years old

Frame - Marin Pine Mountain - Green in colour

Forks - Manitou with about 80 - 100mm travel - adjustable for spring rate and damping

Wheels - Sun XTC rims built around Pace carbon hub at front and shimano hub at rear

Tyres - Panaracer Fire XC Pro - rear is about 2 weeks old and has had 1 x ride of about 10miles - front is barley worn at all and like new.

Gears - 24 speed shimano - XT shifters, XT rear derailier and LX front.

Brakes - Rim brakes only i'm afraid - XTR shifters with XTR mech at the back and XT at the front - New pads fitted at the back just before xmas - also got a spare set for front which are included in the sale.

Handlebars - Red Xlite riser bars

Stem - Marins own

Front chainset hashad a sun ringle middle ring put on

Pedals - DMR V8

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Depends how much he wants for it I guess

What about the cassette and chain, when was that last changed? When was the BB last cleaned and regreased?

Ride it, test everything on it, brakes etc, go through all the gears, give the forks a good ride and check no oil etc is leaking from the seals, listen for any clicking coming from the crank
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Check the rear deurailler hanger descends directly downwards from the frame.

If it's bent (this is a steel frame, yeah?), it might mean you'll never get the indexing quite right.

Without knowing more about the frame and fork it's hard to guess at the value. I'd guess at £300-400. How much is the seller expecting?
  • thanks for replies so far, he wants in the £200-£250 range for it
  • thanks for replies so far, he wants in the £200-£250 range for it
  • Sounds v.reasonable so long as the above is all in order. Check the frame welds for flaking/bubbling paint etc as well.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Price sounds good. Make sure it's the right size for you as well, of course.

The Pine Mountain was a decent quality fraem back in the day, so if the frame has stayed at same point in Marin range - it should be a good bike.
  • As long as all of the issues highlighted above by my esteemed co-fora have been addressed I think it seems like a bloody good deal - Marin have an excellent rep for producing good quality frames and I think this should do you a treat.... :wink: