xc upgrading

strodey
strodey Posts: 481
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
Recently bought a Giant XTC 3.5 2008!
Well chuffed with it but time to get it better.
Upgraded wheels to mavic 717's with hope pro 2 hubs
Now trying to decide wether to change forks, probably to RS Reba race or change crankset to xt hollowtech, ideally i'm trying to make the bike lighter!
What do you reckon?
All suggestions for xc new boy much appreciated?
Carbon is a mans best freind

Comments

• Upgraded to Reba SL over Christmas. stiff, light and tuneable and they have less adjustability than the Race. Also upgraded wheels to HopeXC with mavic 321 rims and looking at XT hollowtech II crankset.

Looks like we're in the same boat buddy. Fun isn't it?
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I would start by changing the forks, as they will make a difference to how the bike rides, as well as saving a fair bit of weight. Personally I would wait until you need some new chainrings, then upgrade the cranks, which are supplied with chainrings, at the same time.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Forks first, so much more of an obvious differance. What tyres and tubes are you running? I'm sure the guys on here can advise on lighter and faster ones, then as Jason says upgrade other bits as they wear out, or when you can afford them whichever comes first!!
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    You've already changed the wheels which will have helped, like the other's have said change the fork, not looked at your bikes spec so don't know what your current forks are but if you want to save weight then an air sprung fork lighter than a coil

Wouldn't change the crank until it breaks, then look at new XT or XTR range depending on budget, cassette chain etc. change when they are worn

To be honest seems a bit daft to Purchase a new bike and immediately change everything on it, says to me you didn't buy the right bike!
  • If i was you i would of probably gone for an XtC Zero or one of the Alliances.
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • I am running Scwhalbe Nobby Nics 2.1s at the moment and to be honest they hold up in most conditions apart from the most extreme mud-bogs.....
  • TMG said:
    To be honest seems a bit daft to Purchase a new bike and immediately change everything on it, says to me you didn't buy the right bike

In my case i bought the bike on the cheap knowing some of the spec would be less than i would ideally have wanted. Could have waited and saved up the rest but that would have meant missing out on a summer and winter of riding - didn't want that.

The frame is the heart of your bike. All the rest comes and goes. It's a legitimate way of getting the bike you want by upgrading over time.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Been there done that, once you've got nice parts then you can splurge on a new frame... I'd try sticking a racing ralph on the rear(thats the right end IIRC) Of course the bike will get lighter, but you need to make sure you maintain strength. It will cost you a bit more in the long run, but you can end up with a unique bike.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I appreciate everyone has different circumstances wrt cash and reasons for purchase

IMO it's a tad daft to buy an 08 model and then immediately start to strip it down (the guy said he'd just purchased!) after spending £600 on the bike then stick £200 worth of wheels and then another £2-300 worth of fork, might aswell of bought a bike for a grand with a good frame and good componentry that would only require upgrading when broken as opposed to buying a bike with a mediocre frame and crap componentry that requires immediate changing especially as he obviously has the cash

Wasn't commenting on your situation was responding to the topic
  • Wasnt having a go at all - maybe i shouldn't have chosen angry red colour to quote in :lol:

The way i look at it is if i still have the OE kit and i break something new and shiny and expensive (wheels, forks mainly) then i can just re-fit that while repairs are underway or while i'm saving for new.

Doing this means that i won't miss out on any riding because i only have one bike.

Plus, even at a grand you aren't guaranteed to get a really good fork and machine built OE wheels don't stack up against a decent pair of handbuilt ones.
  • strodey
    If i was you i would of probably gone for an XtC Zero or one of the Alliances.

I bought the bike not knowing how much i'd get into riding it, i didn't want to spend too much in case it was going to end up sat in the shed for most of the year!
    I did look at selling the bike then buying a completely new one but the costs are similar when you start looking at the spec of factory fit bikes comparing to what you upgrade with and at least i have the choice of components.
    Looking back yes i would have been better off getting a better bike in the first place! the guy in my local bike shop has a good laugh each time i walk through the dorr!

I'll probably go with the forks in a couple of months time then the crankset, eventually i'll have some quality components and i can then change the frame! odd way of doing it i guess but very addictive!
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    teacherman wrote:
    TMG said:
    To be honest seems a bit daft to Purchase a new bike and immediately change everything on it, says to me you didn't buy the right bike

In my case i bought the bike on the cheap knowing some of the spec would be less than i would ideally have wanted. Could have waited and saved up the rest but that would have meant missing out on a summer and winter of riding - didn't want that.

The frame is the heart of your bike. All the rest comes and goes. It's a legitimate way of getting the bike you want by upgrading over time.

well said!! also upgrading is part of the fun. I'd never buy top spec bike, purely because theres not really that much to upgrade.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • strodey
    and there is no better way to learn about your bike than to take it apart and re fit it!
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    strodey wrote:

I'll probably go with the forks in a couple of months time then the crankset, eventually i'll have some quality components and i can then change the frame! odd way of doing it i guess but very addictive!
    Ah I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking like that! Thats the kind of thing I'm hoping to do over the years - funds permitting :roll: Was all I could do to stop myself buying wheels, discs and calipers today! Think that'll have to wait until next years' Jan sales!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • My bike started out as an XTC SX.Its now running full XT,Rebas,RF Deus bars and stem,Thomson post,Fizik Gobi,XTR SPDs,Nobby Nics,etc.

Its around 4-4.5 lbs lighter than its original spec.The Reba forks saved over 1lb,and likewise,fitting the Nobby Nics,saved a pound.

The rest of the weight has been shed by little bits here and there,but collectively they make a difference.Wheels were certainly a good starting place,and will be my next upgrade,

I was quite lucky in that I won a full XT groupset in a competition.Most of the money funded by the sale of the old bits,bought me more new bits.

So my upgrades have only really cost me about £300.The bike was £500,so for £800 I now have a nicely specced,Hardtail.

I agree,upgrading isn`t always sensible,given the cost of a complete bike,but it is fun,and an XTC has good frame,so well worth finding its potential!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • strodey
    Thanks for the input i'll let you know how it goes!
    I am planning to aim at having what i can done ready for some lemming trails!
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i hope you're runinng at least an xt cassette on those hope hubs as there's been talk on here about steel cassettes damaging them.
  • strodey
    Yep, i got a xt cassette for that reason!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    strodey wrote:
    Recently bought a Giant XTC 3.5 2008!. . . . . ideally i'm trying to make the bike lighter!
    What do you reckon?
    All suggestions for xc new boy much appreciated?

I guess you couldn't lose 5lbs yourself?

That'll make it lighter! :twisted:

Honestly, I would look to change the forks in the future, but firstly, I'd get in a good few miles under it and get used it. It might be that the stem & bars are worth changing so your more comfortable on it.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • strodey
    I guess you couldn't lose 5lbs yourself?

There would be nothing left! 6ft 1inch and weigh 10 and a half stone! really funny going past all the 'normal' fat people up the hills though