Tyre set up

deanvw
deanvw Posts: 412
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Hey all. Im looking for a new set up on my tyres now as my Tioga DH Factory 2.3 are badly worn. I will be doing a bit of everything but i need lots of grip as i do freeriding. Any ideas?

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    highroller, 2.5, super tacky 42a
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    High Rollers, 2.35" Wide.

Go for a 42a Compound on the front and 60a on the rear.

Single Ply's are a lot lighter than dual ply's. As long as you use decent tubes with the single ply's and don't plough through rock gardens you will be fine.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • deanvw

Whats the difference. But also they dont look very grippy
    As long as you use decent tubes with the single ply's and don't plough through rock gardens you will be fine

I use halo
  • dhxcme
    although they don't look it thy have a daft amount of grip.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Have to agree with the HighRoller 42a/60a 2.35 combo but if you prefer a more fully treaded tyre, Michelin Mountain Xtrem 2.2s are also very good

20410.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • deanvw
    Oh

and im running them on Halo Combats with Halo innertubes
  • Nobby Nicks front and back winter

Nobby Nicks front and Racing Ralph spring & Autumn

Racing Ralph front and back summer

Assuming we get a normal season
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    deanvw wrote:

Whats the difference. But also they dont look very grippy

42a is a softer compound so more grip but less durable.

They are plenty grippy enough, one of the most widely used downhill tyres.

Splasher wrote:
    Have to agree with the HighRoller 42a/60a 2.35 combo but if you prefer a more fully treaded tyre, Michelin Mountain Xtrem 2.2s are also very good
    20410.jpg

They are more like a Maxxis minion/ Michelin Comp 24. The lateral grip and mud shedding is no where near as good as the high rollers.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Havn't looked at any other tyres since rolling the Continental Verticals, look at the reviews ! :o:o:o

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ical.shtml
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Glad someone likes Conti Verticals!! I thought they were the worst tyres I've used so far..... no grip at all when things got damp. I like the Kenda Bluegroove/ Nevegal combo myself.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • dhxcme
    worring thing is i like holy rollers for xc as they stick to everything but nothing sticks to them.
  • Splasher
    edited January 2008
    Sir HC wrote:
    Splasher wrote:
    20410.jpg

They are more like a Maxxis minion/ Michelin Comp 24. The lateral grip and mud shedding is no where near as good as the high rollers.

I agreed with the High Roller suggestion as you can see but the OP didn't like the look of high rollers so I offered an alternative that maybe doesn't shed mud as well but certainly grips as well in corners in all but the wettest conditions and is first rate on rocky sections, hardpack and north-shore. I trust when you say "no where near as good" you've ridden them and aren't just offering theory based advice. :wink:
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Maxxis ADvantage are good all rounders as far as i know...
    http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.a ... elID=18479
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Conti Verticals 2.3s do grip in the mud if you have the right pressure in them.
    A Panaracer Trailraker is a good option as a rear tyre for more grip though.

Tioga DH tyres are like bambi on iceskates on stretches of wet tarmac and so are Spesh Enduros, I've still got the gravel rash to prove it.
    Dave S
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    I'm running a kenda nevegal on the front and a nobby nic on the back - i think this might be the wrong way round though, what do you think?! The reason it's on this way is cos a bike shop lost my old front tyre and bunged on a nobby nic instead. haven't got round to changing it over yet.
  • Splasher
    hamboman wrote:
    I'm running a kenda nevegal on the front and a nobby nic on the back - i think this might be the wrong way round though, what do you think?! The reason it's on this way is cos a bike shop lost my old front tyre and bunged on a nobby nic instead. haven't got round to changing it over yet.

They're both reasonably good all rounders so I'm not sure which way they would be better. Are they both the same size?
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    yeah, both 2.1s. But I feel like I'm getting a shed load of grip off the nic, even though it looks like a really fast rolling tyre. I might swap em over and see what happens and how it feels.
  • Splasher
    Probably the best way to find out. The rear will tend to grip better than the front, and a just scrubbed-in tyre will feel better than a partially worn one so who knows.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've got Specs eskars on my pitch (OE Fitment) and even though I don;t exactly know loads about tyres they grip very well in mud, sandy stuff and over roots.