A not so merry xmas ..

hugo 1st
hugo 1st Posts: 45
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Christmas wasn't quite the jolly occasion it should have been :(

Shortly before xmas, my daughter's fiance told her he'd found someone else and it was all over.. He's not been seen since and has a record of being let's say 'upredictable'.

Altho' she's not willing to let go, it looks seriously like that's the end of the relationship, and fortunately she now seems to be coming to terms with the new situation as well as could be expected.

My other worry is the behaviour of the ex, who hasn't bothered to get in touch since. They had lived together for over 2 years and recently bought a house with a stonking mortgage which she could never afford to pay alone. Does anyone know a good way to sort things when a relationship falls apart with joint possessions, joint debts and a jointly owned house? I'm hoping there's going to be a peaceful way so my daughter can get her life back together as soon as possible.

Any advice gratefully received..

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your not so merry christmas.
    I would suggest contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau as they will be open over the festive period.
    By the sound of it, both you and your daughter are anxious about the situation.. and rightly so.
    They will be able to advise you of the best way to move forward and hopefully help relieve some of the worries.
    Your daughter must also contact her mortgage lender to advise them of the situation. Hopefully they will be understanding and work with her to sort the problems out.

I hope this is of some help to you both, I am obviously no expert but sometimes it just needs somebody outside of the problem to try and make sense of it all.

Good luck to both of you.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Speak to solicitors about situation with the mortgage / property. Previous neighbours sold their house after splitting up, the man was all for living somewhere else until he was told that unless he tried to stay there she would get all of it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ndodd
    ndodd Posts: 54
    my wife walked out on me saying being a wife and mother was'nt for her also left me her debts which was nice had to borrow extra on the mortgage and go back to 25 year term tell your daughter things will get easier
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    At least there are no children involved.
    I have pain!