Shimano Saint cranks

grommet
grommet Posts: 636
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
Im looking to buy some Saint cranks, I have only heard good things about them other than the price tag... Is there anything bad I should know?

Also, how can I make my Dad understand that Shimano Saint cranks are better than my £25 Truvativ blaze's..... He seems to think that as they have been used for 2 years with out snapping they are ok (admittably this is longer than I expected them to last), and with my riding getting bigger, and me getting heavier it seems to make sense to have somthing a bit more burly to stand on....

happy with any help

thanks

Comments

• rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    the Saint is shimano's toughest crankset, designed for downhill and extreme freeride use

you might be better off looking at a lighter shimano crankset like the Hone, as you have not had any issues with the Blaze crankset

the Hone sits below Saint in terms of strength, and will take a real beating, but without the hefty price tag and extra weight of the Saint - the Saint is often overkill for alot of riders...

compromise with your Dad and ask for Hone which is an awesome crankset at a great price - make sure you get the dual ring version with the steel pedal reinforcement inserts (the triple chainring version does not have the inserts)

you can always swap the chainrings around if you need to run a triple chainring setup, but its well worth getting the pedal inserts as it stops the pedal threads ripping out of the crankarms on heavy landings gone wrong!
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com