MEDICAL OPINION

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
Something that's particularly interested me in the last few years has been the large number of doctors who regularly enter sportives. Have we any members of the medical profession on the forum who could maybe give us an insight into why this is the case.

Many sportives are self styled examples of extreme endurance verging on survival contests and yet for the White Rose Classic and Ryedale Rumble the number of doctors riding has really stood out. Is there a message out there that organisers can maybe use? Have any of our doctors developed data for their rides?

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I got kicked out of medical school after 2 years - does that count?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • bobh wrote:

Many sportives are self styled examples of extreme endurance verging on survival contests and yet for the White Rose Classic and Ryedale Rumble the number of doctors riding has really stood out.

The same is true of ironman triathlons. I would suggest doctors, being highly motivated people, just like a challenge. Working long and erratic hours isn't ideal for a successful racing career but endurance events are a (little) bit easier to train for.
  • pader
    pader Posts: 152
    I'm a medic. Not sure why or if there are that many. Possibly its a more memorable career than another IT consultant