Helmet Cam as Evidence?

DavidTQ
DavidTQ Posts: 943
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
No Ive not been in an accident :D

Im really thinking of getting myself a helmet cam for several purposes, but a large part of it is evidence in case something does happen. Although it might well catch a number plate that helps catch a hit and run, does anyone know of a situation where a helmet cam recording has been used sucessfully as evidence against a motorist? or where police have prosecuted based on helmet cam evidence?

Im just wandering as I know there are some pretty strict laws as to what can be taken as evidence and Im not sure how much weight will ever be put on someones private recording like that?

Comments

• I suspect that it will depend on the type of case that you're involved in. If it's a criminal case, where they're being prosecuted for dangerous driving or whatever, it may not be admissible. But in a civil case, where you're, say, claiming back the cost of repairs, I think it will be.

IANAL, YMMV ;)
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Whilst it might be inadmissible as evidence in its own right, the number plate of Mr Hit-and-Run might give the police the lead they need to find the bike-sized dent in his car that will be evidence of leaving the scene of an accident.
  • neslon
    neslon Posts: 54
    I asked a detective mate of mine the same question. He said that it depends largely on which policeman gets it, whats happening at the time & was a bit downbeat about them.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Don't forget that it's possible your footage might end up as evidence AGAINST you, and show you to be in the wrong.
  • DavidTQ
    BentMikey wrote:
    Don't forget that it's possible your footage might end up as evidence AGAINST you, and show you to be in the wrong.

Thats not something I worry about too much, Im pretty familiar with the highway code, and keep myself legal and ride on the cautious side, if I do mess up and cause trouble that is as much my responsibility as it would be in a car. Personally I feel far more likely to be at risk from bad driving than I am to cause trouble with my own cycling.

Im quite happy for my own cycling standards to be recorded full time, If I didnt feel that my own actions were up to scrutiny I wouldnt be wanting to be recording evidence against me :D

Every action I take on my bike has to pass two tests 1) is it safe? 2) is it legal?

I do believe that if ever anything were to happen that the entire recording of my journey could be viewed in front of officers of the law without any embarrasement for me. This is largelly because Im patient I dont take risks to save seconds. I believe I ride in an accountable manner.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Would have liked a helemt cam this morning - came very close two being hit by not one but two idiots. It is silly season on the roads at the moment and it pays to be extra careful.
  • BentMikey
    That may all be true David, but it still doesn't preclude you from a mistake that could then be brought home to you by your own camera footage. I admit the possibility is probably quite small.
  • DavidTQ
    edited December 2007
    BentMikey wrote:
    That may all be true David, but it still doesn't preclude you from a mistake that could then be brought home to you by your own camera footage. I admit the possibility is probably quite small.

If I do make a mistake which has to always be a possibility, (I wear a helmet on the grounds that I could be caught out by something on the road) then I would hope that my character is such that my camera footage wouldnt be needed to do anything other than back up my own statements.

I would far rather be punished for something I have done wrong in full knowledge of my own guilt than to get away and be left with a guilty conscience, or to labour in the false impression of my own innocence because of a lack of evidence.
  • BentMikey
    Stepping aside from the developing pissing contest, all I was really trying to say is that permanently running video cameras are a tool which cut both ways.
  • DavidTQ
    BentMikey wrote:
    Stepping aside from the developing pissing contest, all I was really trying to say is that permanently running video cameras are a tool which cut both ways.

I didnt see it as a pissing contest, I took on board your comments about it being a double edged sword, but I prefer it that way...

Its self improvement, probably something that comes from me being involved in motorsport, it was far more beneficial to look back and see what you can improve and where you went wrong than to labour in the false impression of being right about everything. A bit of analasys after the event can be of real future benefit even if it shows you messing up.