lightweight inner tubes

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited December 2007 in XC and Enduro
I have XTR wheels and Conti tyres and am looking for a decent lightweight innertube to replace my spesh ones - a bit lardy. Any suggestions?

Ta :wink:

Comments

• I like the continental ones although they are at least as lardy as the spesh ones so probably not so helpful They are such good quality though with a full steel valve.
  • Think Ill go with the Conti - they have some super light ones on CRC that are slightly lighter than Spesh ones - should do the job! :wink:
  • The standard Spesh ones are 160-170g each.
    Conti light are approx 125g and Conti supersonic are approx 100g.
    Not sure what durability/puncture resistance is like but for the sake of £16 and a reduction of at least 120g of rotating mass,for the sake of a couple of tubes the supersonics have to be worth a go!
    Probably OK if you don't run low pressures or ride in rocky terrain.

Let us know how you get on with them. :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I use the Conti race (light?) tubes which are about 120-125g on my kitchen scales! I don't seem to have had any more problems with these than with standard tubes.

Because of this I tried the Supersonics. To be fair they survived the first race I fitted them for. However they punctured repeatedly front and rear when I took them out for a general riding.

JS
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Oh oh oh! Mr Cheesey!

Continental Supersonic tubes :wink: 99g each. My recommendation!
  • DAM
    DAM Posts: 13
    surely if you have spent that much on wheels you should go tubeless!?!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    andrew156 wrote:
    Oh oh oh! Mr Cheesey!

Same here. I've also used Maxxis Flyweight, but they weren't as reliable and some Tioga Butyl ones that were uber-light, but I've not seen any for sale for a while.
  • andrew156 wrote:
    Oh oh oh! Mr Cheesey!

Those are the very ones!!!

Ordered!

Still shedding weight from the Marin - got some new grips too - pedros prayer stix - light as you like (iirc 49gr pair) but don't look like they will last more than a season - £3.99 from CRC - bargain!!
  • El Capitano
    Try PoshBike's grips £9.99 for 15g. They are hard to fit, don't grip the bars, provide no padding or grip.

But..they are only 15g

:D
  • Try PoshBike's grips £9.99 for 15g. They are hard to fit, don't grip the bars, provide no padding or grip.

But..they are only 15g

LOL i couldnt stop laughing at that one. Nice 'capt :lol:

Capt could you recommend me a pair of grips, that grip have padding and comfy, as i am heavy on my bars when riding

Thanking you in advance :wink:

( sorry for hijacking this thread a bit)
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • It's amazing how much weight you can shed if you purchase the right kit.

My Marin is about 20ish pounds at the moment.

El Cap, that did make me laugh matey! :wink:
  • El Capitano

I've also got a seat post that weighs 158g and a saddle that weighs 135g that can't be used together - yes they're an uber light combination, but absolutely useless!

All joking apart, I did get my XTC down to just over 20lbs. And that's with reasonably heavy forks - MX Pro 120mm at 1825g. It got to the stage where it became unrideable except on smooth tarmac - and even then I still got punctures!

Soooo, I've now gone for reliability over lightweight - which is more important to me racing endurance type events.

And about the grips - I'm a huge fan of the ODI Ruffians - 103g, but grip the bar, easily removed, offer some good grip and padding but.......they are 103g. :wink:
  • I am 'hoping' to swap the Marin frame out for 'this' by the end of the month... 'DROOOL'

Gorgeous! :D

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=07Epic
  • If you like light then go and drool at poshbikes! Seriously silly stuff including carbon fibre bolts!