Warley Gap sabotaged!!

buzz1
buzz1 Posts: 374
edited December 2007 in MTB rides
As a regular visitor at warley gap, I was appalled to see today that someone has bulldozered the jumps and filled the dips with hardcore and dirt!
I can only asume such a large job was done by the local council, who will no doubt be moaning when the kids, having lost their jumps, are forced to find alternative riding spots.
What harm were they doing? none what-so-ever. If councils wish to keep kids off the streets and up to no good, then they should be encouraging them into building these trails and jumps, and not destroying all the hard work that goes into building them!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72834654@N00/

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If only it were that simple, eh? You are perfectly right, but look at it this way - if the jumps were built illegally the land owner has every right to remove them. That's the problem with guerilla trail building, you have to face the consequences if you get found out.

OK so it doesn't help now that the kids have nowhere to play and the local authority and do-gooders will then be screaming about anti-social behaviour next.

But would you be happy if someone built a garage on your back yard without asking first?

Here's another thought for you - why not set the ball rolling and see if you can't get backing for a legitimate riding spot? I'm putting plans together to do that in my neck of the woods because frankly I'm fed up with all the NIMBYs moaning about kids hanging about with nowhere to go, yet they aren't prepared to do anyhting about it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hi. just been to warley. The last time i was there (about 3 weeks ago) the workmen were laying in a pipe to the new house at the back of the site with a JCB so i think the damage has been done by the house owner not the council.
    This area has been used by kids for at least 15 years and is on land that used to be owned by the Army, now even the council don't want to know ( i have made contact some years ago when my kids used it ) but the big problem there is the mess left by the kids if only they cleared some up .
    I have to say if i owned the new house i would have done the same it is a mess and the kids only have themselfs to blame!!!!!
    johnboyrides
  • Rusty
    Rusty Posts: 808
    thought that would happen!
    just hope the other bits round there don't get flattened!
    to be honest that part of Warely has been ruined for long time